Drat...maybe that wasn't gas after all. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #11
Registered Member

You've already got a pump set up to drain the tank... You just need it to drain to somewhere useful. Find a convenient fuel line junction to disconnect, and direct it into an appropriate container. Find the fuel pump relay and short the contact terminals, or if the pump wiring is easy to access, find a connector and power it directly with a battery or something. Just make sure the area you're working on is free of fuel vapors.

GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I was thinking of that, but it sounds like I'll break something. Those fuel pumps are expensive.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I'm sitting there squeezing the siphon primer, I look just like an old farmer stereotype milking a cow...so the truck gets a new name. Bessy it is!
Old 07-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #14
Registered Member

Ok, siphoning is done. Now I must use the truck's fuel pump, or I have to take the bed off / drop the tank. I got out 21 gallons and then I couldn't get the siphon hose dipped into any gas anymore. There's 3 gallons left and I have a suspicion that those are the worst 3 gallons.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #15
Registered Member

Double drat. I can't get the fuel filter off. I guess I shouldn't have let it spend the last 184,000 miles corroding and fusing to the fuel line. Not good.

I tried penetrating oil and I tried freezing it (with upside-down canned air). I'm sure not going to try heating it with a torch! I also am not willing to cut it off, that'll make plenty of sparks...
Old 07-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #16
Registered Member

How about cutting on both sides of the filter with some heavy duty diagonal pliers and then using high pressure fuel hose, hose clamps and a barbed type fuel filter (high pressure type) to bridge the gap you will leave?

If the metal hose gets crimped shut as you cut it, use one of these and cut back from the crimped section:
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #17
Registered Member

I want to avoid splicing. I think if I'm going to do that I'll just buy new lines instead. I guess it depends how much they cost.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:38 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
I always dump Isopropyl alcohol in any gas that's been sitting around before using it.

Worst gas I had recently was when I was short for my mower at the beginning of spring, and I had a can sitting around with 3 or 4 years worth of fuel filter drainings in it... this stuff was yellow, looked like a cross between light machine oil and pee... in it went... gah... didn't start too well, in goes 4 oz of methanol (I was out of IPA) and I shake it up some, get her started, do the front and back lawns, and was trying to hack down an overgrown bed and stalled it, couldn't get it going again... maybe just maybe I should have fresh gas in there... gave up for the day.... so a week later I drained the half jar of milky syrup that was left, and put fresh gas in, and she fired up fine.

lol ive "fixed" someones mower doing that. they brought it to me sayign it wont start/stay running i look in the gas its full. i ask how old it is they said maybe a year lol well after about 10 minutes of messing with other stuff and finding out it will run if i spray somehting combustable into the air intake and it spudders to life then dies. well i drained the old gas that to my suprise looked like iced tea (year old my butt) put fresh stuff in and it fired right up!
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #19
Registered Member

funnily enough I got that mower as "dead, for parts" 'coz it had 2 stroke mix in it, when it's a 4 stroke B&S.... if I'm interpreting the serial # stamp right, it was made in 1968.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #20
Site Team / Moderator

I can remember when my sister first got married she was way too poor to buy a mower. They could barely afford the house payment. Dad & I went to the dump, and picked the best looking mower out of the pile and threw it in the truck. Dove it home, drained the crankcase and fuel tank and refilled it with fresh oil & gas and it fired right up.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote