EGR Box Compatibility - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-19-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

EGR Box Compatibility

Does anyone know if any honda EGR box, possibly with rewiring will work with the 92-95 vx engine? I'm leaning toward a OBD 0 egr from a civic or crx....

daygobaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I've heard that the OBDI EGR box from an accord may work, but it's just pure conjecture with no fact.

Essentially the EGR control box is just a solenoid that controls the vacuum feed to the EGR and should be pretty universal between the different Honda models.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

i how does the frequency solenoid valve work?...what kind of reading does it give to the ecu?...im just worried about frying my ecu....because the accord one and vx one have different part numbers....
Old 11-20-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I know the VX one works by the ECU PWM (Pulse Width Modulating) the solenoid by rapidly grounding it in order to give varying amounts of vacuum to the EGR valve and allow it to rise a certain amount. The amount of lift if measured by a sensor on top of the EGR and fed back to the ECU.

Quote:
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
Registered Member

PWM...is basicallly a signal that turns on and off? what kind of signal are we talking about....volts?...my bad i dont really understand electronics....basically im worried about frying my ecu...i wanted too know if the signal on the accords and too strong for the ecu....
Old 11-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daygobaker View Post
PWM...is basicallly a signal that turns on and off?
Pulse Width Modulation. Yeah, it's a repeated sequence of measured on and off switching. Each off/on cycle always adds up to the same length of time, but the off and on sections of each cycle can proportionately change in length.
Here's a graphic I put together a month or two ago showing PWM as used with light dimmers:

The up part of each wave represents time where the lamp would be lit, while during the down part it would be off. A constantly down line would be the lamp completely switched off, while a constantly up line would be the light at full power.
PWM is often used to dim LED lights, such as those found in some modern tail lamps:

With lighting, the switching happens fast enough that the human eye can't normally perceive it, though fast movement such as waving your hand around under the light source can have a freeze-frame strobe-like effect.

Quote:
what kind of signal are we talking about....volts?...my bad i dont really understand electronics....
You can think of electricity like water in a garden hose. Voltage is a measure of the pressure in the hose, while amperage (amps or current) is a measure of how much water is flowing past a point in the hose. The real life counterpart of the hose is a wire, while the water would be electrons. Just like the water in the hose, you need voltage (pressure) to move electrons (the water). This movement can be measured as current (amps).
The final important measurement to know is resistance, measured in ohms (generally represented by the greek letter omega, which looks like a horseshoe). Resistance, as its name suggests, is a measure of an electrical component's (a resistor, solenoid coil or whatever) resistance to the flow of current. Using the water-in-a-hose analogy, a high resistance device would be like stepping on, or putting a kink in the hose. Water flows past, but it's speed (current) is restricted.
Increasing the pressure (voltage) can force more water past the restriction, increasing the current. Similarly, reducing the restriction (resistance) can increase the current. This relationship is known as ohms law. It's stated simply as V (voltage, measured in volts) = I (current, measured in amps) * R (resistance, measured in ohms). If you know, or can measure any two of those values, you can find the third.

Quote:
basically im worried about frying my ecu...i wanted too know if the signal on the accords and too strong for the ecu....
But anyway, in your case, the voltage is pretty much fixed at around 12 volts... Typical for a car electrical system. What you need to look out for is the resistance of the frequency solenoid coil. If the resistance is lower than a VX solenoid, the current that will be allowed to flow through it could damage the ECU component that switches the coil on and off. This is the same principal behind "shorting out" a component... If you make it's resistance zero, or near zero, the flow of current will be limited only by the wire, or what ever else happens to be on the same electrical circuit. Further, this is why fuses are rated in amps.
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks for fielding that one Bobski!

Quote:
Old 11-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #8
Registered Member

whoa...are you a professor or something?...so the frequency solenoid valves gives out volt readings?....would you happen to know that amount...my friend has an accord and i can try to get his volt readings and ohms...and i wanna compare...
Old 11-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
whoa...are you a professor or something?
Nope... Just an electrical engineering student.

Quote:
so the frequency solenoid valves gives out volt readings?
No. The frequency solenoid controls the air pressure applied to the EGR valve. The "frequency solenoid" is just a electrically controlled air valve that can be opened and closed quickly. The only signal involved is one sent from the ECU to the valve, and even that signal is dead simple: either 12 volts, or 0 volts. The frequency solenoid itself is a dumb device... It's just a big coil of thin wire (an electromagnet) and some valve plumbing.

Quote:
would you happen to know that amount...my friend has an accord and i can try to get his volt readings and ohms...and i wanna compare...
I actually came across a VX in a salvage yard earlier today while looking for some odds and ends, and bought the control box since people seem to have a hard time finding them. I read 17.3 ohms across the solenoid terminals.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:51 AM   #10
Registered Member

While going over this box a final time (sold it), I noticed the frequency valve has restrictors in the inlet and outlet, with a port size of about 1.1 mm diameter.