Engine ~shake~! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #11
Driving on E

check your spark plugs and firing order.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:28 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Best to listen to the exhost, it should be smooth and steady - if it is buffing there is a skip. The engine should have a very regular even spaced beat to it since it fires pretty evenly once every 240 degrees of rotation. Check for air leak and foulded injector - then compression check would be next. Mine always ran smooth unless a plug or wire was wet. Original plugs lasted 12 years 90k miles never changed only gapped.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:18 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Metro View Post
I'm waiting for my Haynes manaul to arrive to make sure I order the correct mounts. In the meantime the only place on line I've found to order the mount si from http://www.geoautoparts.com . Anyone ever order from here?

Any feedback will be appreciated.
Rubber mounts are known for this no biggie.

Check that there is NO damage to the harmonic balancer however, they can get hit and/or bent, giving the car the shimmie shimmie shake, seen it before....

geoautoparts.com appears to be nothing more than a search-engine drop-shipper and nothing more (google their 800 number for fun) just by the looks of it (clicking on tires just jumps you to Tire Rack). However the mount price is lower than what the local costs online for retail.

Tom's Truck used to be good (Suzuki OEM at Suzuki OEM prices). I think Beck Arnely stocked this mount at one time, check with your local Beck dealer, but keep the price (and or shipping for the above) in mind.

-Emil Faber
Spule 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:08 PM   #14
Registered Member

Thanks! To all your responses.

I just got my Haynes manual today. Tomorrow I'm going to jack up the engine and test the mounts, then to NAPA for a price quote.

Based on your feedback and my hunch, the motor mount is looking like the culprit. But after I change them, if it still shimmey's you've given me plenty of other things to check.

I'll keep you posted.

Again, thanks!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Metro View Post
Thanks! To all your responses.

I just got my Haynes manual today. Tomorrow I'm going to jack up the engine and test the mounts, then to NAPA for a price quote.

Based on your feedback and my hunch, the motor mount is looking like the culprit. But after I change them, if it still shimmey's you've given me plenty of other things to check.

I'll keep you posted.

Again, thanks!

Good luck, I miss our Metro (bought new in 1993 and sold last fall with 90K on it) for simple repairs, and the so VERY few it ever needed in those 13 years.

-Emil Faber
Spule 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:53 PM   #16
Registered Member

Stopped by an out of the way junk yard today and guess what? They have a 90 Geo Metro way in the back. So I went out and sure enough the engine mounts are in good shape. I didn't have my tools so I am going back tomorrow morning first thing.

I was so excited I went right home and pulled the engine mount from my car.
I put a jack with a chunk of 2x6 on top of it under the oil pan and lifted it just enough to take the weight off the engine mount (got that idea from the Haynes manual). Just for kicks I jumped in and fired it up....No shimmy!!

I took out the main mount bolt and then started loosening the bolt to the engine bracket, when I notcied the bracket wiggling a little too much. Low and behold it wasn't the engine mount, but that aluminum bracket to the engine. Cracked in half.

Here's the broken bracket:

I'm hoping the one on junkyard Metro is still in good enough shape for me to get in the morning.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:20 AM   #17
Registered Member

Wow. Good sleuthing.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #18
Registered Member

Used 89 Geo Metro = $600.00

Used Motor mount bracket from Junkyard = $10.00

3 new Spark plugs = $5.37

Being able to recycle a Hi MPG Car and do all the work your self.....Priceless...

-----------------------

After swtiching the engine bracket I changed the spark plugs, air filter, new wiper blades, changed Oil and filter and she's running great....Well almost great, there's some leak form the exhaust pipe (gives it that turbo sound), but that's for another thread.

I'm looking forward to reporting on the MPG I get. Monday I start using the car for my daily work commute (approx 24 miles each way).

Thanks for all your replies.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:11 AM   #19
Registered Member

Great news.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
With the broken mount you probably has some damage on the header to exhost pipe gasket donut from the excessive engine movement.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote