Excessive oil changes - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #21
Registered Member

So my car had its first service last week, at 13 Months old with 10,500 miles I persumed they would do an oil change. But after speaking to the garage, they say the intervals are 18,000 miles or two years for the oil change. I just assumed it would be done once a year, but as it is, the car will be about 18 months old by the time I hit that mileage.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Old 01-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
I still hear stories around the web of people in the US changing their oil more than once a year, in fact, and it makes me shiver to say it, but even after 3000 miles!?

I can't figure out why the US change their oil so often?
Trust me, if Americans had to pay $300 or more for an oil change as they do in many other countries. they wouldn't be doing an oil change every 3000 miles.

5 US quarts / 4.73 liters of Mobil 1 synthetic oil costs $26 at Wal-Mart. What does a jug cost in the UK or Germany...about $80.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:54 PM   #23
Registered Member

Like most things, oil is probably more expensive this side of the pond, but most people are willing to spend money maintaining their cars if it needs it. But when manufacturers recommend 20,000 intervals, what's the point wasting oil?

Old 01-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
But when manufacturers recommend 20,000 intervals, what's the point wasting oil?
Exactly.

Different cultures and mentalities. For example, the US constitutes 5% of the world's population, yet consumes 25% of the world's energy.

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out if all other countries were as ignorant, there would not be enough energy to go around.

This love affair with large pick-ups and SUVs with only one person in them driving to work is another example.

I was asked why I was letting my engine idle after washing my motorcycle while on tour in Europe. I said I was drying it out. I was told what a waste of fuel and I was unnecessarily polluting. No question, I was.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #25
Registered Member

Yea, I was shot down in flames the other day for suggesting fuel and oil were "too cheap" in the US, but the truth is, if fuel and oil remain so cheap, people will continue to exploit and waste it. If fuel was that cheap here, and we didn't have pollution tax, I'd probably drive a nice Sports car.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:39 AM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Yea, I was shot down in flames the other day for suggesting fuel and oil were "too cheap" in the US...
Yeah well, that is usually the case when the truth hurts.

They should raise the price by taxing it and then using the money to provide free health care.

Americans don't seem to have issues having their tax dollars pissed away on wars they can't win, yet they are so opposed to free medical care...or any other social programs. Let them lose their house when they need to pay for that operation.

They talk about their infrastructure crumbling away, yet nobody wants to pay for anything through higher taxes. Well duhhhhh, I too would like everything for free, but that is not how things work. All they need to do is divert the trillions spent in Iraq and spend it on roads, bridges, hospitals. Of course, some powerful politicians would not get rich doing that.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #27
Registered Member

Runningonfumes I couldn't agree more with you, we do stupid things, like re-electing politicians that do NOT represent the majority of people they represent (?). Of course the pols are the ones that set the rules, and set them so that they are re-elected time after time (no term limits except for the President). The special interest groups have so loaded the system with $$$ contributions that a candidate that represents the people hasn't got a chance to get elected. The net result is that our system favors big money, and big money profits from wars, Wall Street, low priced energy to keep consumption high.
We are a debtor nation that owes our high standard of living (and wasteful excesses) to ever increasing national debt that can not be sustained forever.
Please don't lump ALL Americans into the same dung pile as our politicians, but rather help us find a way to change. Some of us DO feel guilty about the path or pols have led us down, and actually feel a need to identify with the rest of the world. Count me as being on YOUR side!
Tenderfoot
Old 01-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #28
Registered Member

It still shocks me to think there's no free healthcare in the US, I mean the tax on alcahol, cigarettes and food, where does that go exactly? The UK's Health Service is 67 years old this year, money well spent, even if it's one of the governments most expensive purchases!

Old 01-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderfoot View Post
The special interest groups have so loaded the system with $$$ contributions that a candidate that represents the people hasn't got a chance to get elected.
Whatever happened to "we the people" from your constitution.

Americans have to take their government back because it is really getting out of hand these last few decades.

The president, and any of them, will tell you what you want to hear, but he is a puppet of the guys with financial interests who put him there.

The last SOTU address sounded all very nice, but it sounded like a broken record.

Quote:
We are a debtor nation that owes our high standard of living (and wasteful excesses) to ever increasing national debt that can not be sustained forever.
What high standard of living? Maybe in Hollywood or Wall Street, but every time I go stateside I am disgusted by the poverty. OK maybe not in major centers, but in smaller centers like upstate NY. I see people at the cash register counting their money to see if they have enough and putting things back...that is sad!

Quote:
Please don't lump ALL Americans into the same dung pile as our politicians, but rather help us find a way to change.
I don't as I have a few friends stateside and they feel the same way.

I remember hearing the debates a few years ago about health care in the US. Poor old Obama! I am flabbergasted why the masses would be against a government-run medicare as we have. Although not the best in the world, our medicare is free or at least paid for by our taxes. My mom's last two operations with a total of 6 weeks in the hospital cost $0 out the door.

By the way France and Italy are/were ranked 1st and 2nd in health care.

Why the distrust? And if you distrust your government that much, why not revolt? Why not have a referendum on military spending versus health care spending?
Old 01-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #30
Registered Member

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but this is not the place to post them.
Please keep political discussions off the board.
Off-topic posts can and will be deleted at the discretion of staff.

Closed Thread