Excessive oil changes - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:42 AM   #61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt715 View Post
After that I specified Motorcraft which was another $5 IIRC.
They don't make their own oil and neither does Porsche, Toyota or any other car manufacturer, which I am sure you knew.

But over 300,000 miles, did it make any difference?

Old 02-01-2015, 01:43 PM   #62
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningOnFumes View Post
They don't make their own oil and neither does Porsche, Toyota or any other car manufacturer, which I am sure you knew.

But over 300,000 miles, did it make any difference?
Yep, I know a little bit about oils but I'm far from being knowledgeable. My Explorer never made it 300,000 miles as it rusted out at close to 200k. My biggest reason for wanting Motorcraft was that it was a synthetic blend vs dino oil. I think it tends to flow better in the extreme cold weather I encounter in this part of the country. I put head gaskets in it at about 160k and there was no sludge and no abnormal wear in the cylinders. I bought it with about 80k on it and have no idea what oil the previous owner used or their OCI.

The next truck I bought was a 99 Mazda B2500 with 31k on it. That one I only used Motorcraft 5w30 with a Motorcraft filter changed at 5k intervals. I sold it a few years back with 199k on it and it still ran quiet and smooth with no oil leaks or burning.

My current truck I bought with 28k and has about 84k on it. I've been running Mobil 1 with a Motorcraft filter with 5-6k intervals. Time will tell with this one as I plan on keeping it for a long time.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #63
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Here come the drama queens swinging their handbags again. So discussing oil changes makes me a Yank bashing Anti-American does it? You ladies really amuse me. Honestly, you don't think you're getting a little carried away? Have you not realised that perhaps its just a few select members of whom pick on me every time I post that I dislike, not "Americans" if you'd have bothered to read any other posts of mine, you'll see I'm a friendly warm welcoming chap that enjoys comparing cars from all over the World. You get what you give with me, I'm nice to you if you're nice to me. Act like grumpy little School children like you are, and I'll happily defend myself.
My observation: Your posts, in general, evidence a high degree of disrespect for the United States and Americans. That's what bothers people in the forum .... not honest, factual opinions on the cost and frequency of oil changes.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #64
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt715 View Post
My biggest reason for wanting Motorcraft was that it was a synthetic blend vs dino oil.
I missed the part about the synthetic.

I used Mobil 1 synthetic since day one on my last car of 15 years. I never had an engine (or transmission) issue by changing both lubes periodically.

To say it was the synthetic, who knows as engines and materials are getting better all the time. But the engine was spotless inside.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:55 PM   #65
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by campisi View Post
My observation: Your posts, in general, evidence a high degree of disrespect for the United States and Americans. That's what bothers people in the forum .... not honest, factual opinions on the cost and frequency of oil changes.
Have to disagree with you there, I get along fine with most people here. If I have a negative opinion about cars, automatic transmissions, oil changes etc then that's an issue with the cars, not the people that drive them

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Old 02-08-2015, 03:49 AM   #66
Registered Member

As much as it seems "excessive", Mazda Canada recommends the oil & filter service every 8,000 km or 4 months, whichever comes first. I usually follow this even if I don't reach the full mileage interval.

"The scheduled service requirements have been developed expressly for Canadian driving conditions. Your Mazda requires servicing every 8000 km or every 4 months whichever occurs first. However, as conditions and driving habits vary, more frequent replacement of wear components as well as shorter maintenance intervals may be necessary.

Unique driving conditions do exist in Canada and often these conditions include:
-Driving on dusty or rough roads
-Driving on icy roads
-Driving in cold temperatures
-Driving with extended use of brakes (on winding roads or in mountainous areas)
-Driving in hot weather conditions
-Trailer towing

The maintenance schedule is tailored to these unique Canadian conditions to assure your vehicle gets the proper care and service."

2013 Mazda 3 GS-SKY 6MT (Current)
2015 Mazda 3 Sport GX 6MT (Lease return)
2013 Mazda 3 Sport SKY-SKY 6AT (Ex's daily driver - totalled)
2007 Toyota Matrix Base 5MT (Sold)
Old 02-08-2015, 08:01 AM   #67
Registered Member

Years ago when I drove a semi, the company scheduled the engine oil changes neither by mileage nor operating hours, but by quantity of fuel used. As I remember (and my memory may be faulty) the engine held five gallons, 20 quarts, of oil. The change interval was something on the order of 3000 gallons of fuel burned, or about 600 gallons of fuel per gallon of conventional non-synthetic 15W-40 oil. Since the units cancel out, the ratio of fuel used to oil used was about 600:1. Calculated that way, work out the oil change intervals for your vehicle and see what the ratio might be. My Tundra has averaged just over 15 mpg; its oil change interval is 5000 miles (specified by Toyota) or an oil change every 330 gallons of fuel. Without going out and looking, I think it uses five quarts of oil, 1.25 gallons. That would make its ratio 264:1. Let's see some others.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:02 AM   #68
Registered Member

I'd expect the time between oil changes to tighten in extreme conditions like you explain, the service manuals here read similar, but it's the OCIs under normal operating conditions that strike me as being excessive.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Old 02-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #69
Registered Member

Some states are just as brutal as Canada in terms of environment. Then used cars can, somewhat, freely cross the border. My used Matrix was a Canadian model based on the DRLs. Then we have states with the opposite extreme in climate. So a 5000mile interval that is the shortest recommended now, is probably just CYA from the car companies lawyers.

With my Sonic, it is 187.5:1 for fuel to oil gallons, if I did the math right. Oil change interval of roughly 7500miles, 35mpg average, and 4.5 quarts of oil.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:54 PM   #70
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningOnFumes View Post
I missed the part about the synthetic.

I used Mobil 1 synthetic since day one on my last car of 15 years. I never had an engine (or transmission) issue by changing both lubes periodically.

To say it was the synthetic, who knows as engines and materials are getting better all the time. But the engine was spotless inside.
On my 1986 Chevy C-10 pickup, I had switched it from 10W-30 conventional/3,000 miles to Mobil1 10W40 high mileage synthetic/5,000 at about 150,000 miles. At 190,000 miles I had removed the oil pan to replace the timing chain. From under the truck, looking straight up into the bottom of the engine the crank and everything else I could see were so clean, it looked like a brand new engine that had never been started.

Closed Thread