Extended Warranties for older cars / US Fidelis - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Extended Warranties for older cars / US Fidelis

Was wondering if anyone out there with an older car (or new car) has obtained an extended warranty through US Fidelis or other company and how is the service? Any info is appreciated.

LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Registered Member

i have zero experience w/ extended warranties but...

understand that the quality of cars has increased as the quality of service has decreased. i know of two consumer advocates, in 2 different areas of expertise, that discourage the purchase of them.

it is most difficult to get a claim paid w/ loopholes and such. so, manufacturer warranties are your best bet.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Having run my own repair shop for 13 years, I always told the customer they were responisible for the repair bill. When the car left the bill had to be paid, no exceptions, unless I knew them and they made arrangements in advance.

Personally I think extended warrantees are a crock. They take your money and when it comes time to pay it out they find a way to weasel their way out of the payout. They have attorneys write the contract so they can reject your claim for hundreds of reasons.

Will the warantee company even be there when you make the claim?

At the very least I would read their contract microscopically, and highlight any portion you do not understand perfectly, and require a written response to your concerns.

regards
gary
Old 05-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

I looked into getting a extended warranty on my 98 GMC K1500 when I bought it, but it turned out to be far more expensive than the anticipated repairs over the next couple of years.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the insight guys. I suspected as much, just wanted to talk to someone with first hand experience. I hear the VXs run for a long time, so I keep changing the oil and keep my fingers crossed.
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
Registered Member

larry i work at a dealership and can tell you from experience that aftermarket warranty suck if you get one buy one from the manufacturer only
tapwc19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
Was wondering if anyone out there with an older car (or new car) has obtained an extended warranty through US Fidelis or other company and how is the service? Any info is appreciated.
I am pretty sure I got stuff in the mail from them and threw it away. I have a 99 Olds Cutlass with 160,000 miles on it and it has been pretty trouble free. Runs fine and gets 29mpg on the highway where it's driven 95% of the time with no drama. All I have been doing to it is routine maintenance. Oil changes/tires/brakes and that's about it. Routine maintenance wouldn't be covered anyway.

My opinion is not to get it.