Flush ATF at 40k? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-27-2008, 11:22 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minger View Post
Just wondering if I should - bringing it in for an oil change tomorrow and figured I probably should change the ATF - its at 40k and hasn't been c hanged before on an 04 Civic.

Should I do it or wait longer? They want $70 for the flush from Monro Muffler&Brake....figured I'd get it done there because I have a $12 oil change coupon for there as well.

Thanks,
-Ming
Here's the deal.... will Monro use the proper fluid? Will they remove the plug and allow the junk to drain out?

I'd just get authentic Honda fluid and change it per the manual.

Gene

GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:59 AM   #12
Registered Member

Skip the flush...put get the fluid drained and get at the filter, where ever it is. Double check with a Honda specific site maybe...but 9.5 times out of 10...there's no reason you shouldn't be putting 'regular' synthetic ATF back in it.
WallyWorld carries Mobil1 ATF....good stuff.

GasSavers_Loopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:56 AM   #13
Registered Member

The 0.5 times out of 10 are chrysler A-604 4 speeds, you really want factory ATF+4 in those.

Myself I've sworn off ATF since I discovered UTF
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:50 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I usually buy a couple quarts of ATF and do a quick drain and fill every 7.5k when I change the regular oil.

Only at 100k or so will i actually drop the pan and replace the filter. The filter is really just a screen to keep the big stuff out of the valve body, the small particulates that a normal oil filter cleans out stays in the fluid in an automatic transmission.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #15
Registered Member

I wouldn't call 40k old, but I too have heard of old auto tranny's dying after a flush. FWIW

s2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
I usually buy a couple quarts of ATF and do a quick drain and fill every 7.5k when I change the regular oil.

Only at 100k or so will i actually drop the pan and replace the filter. The filter is really just a screen to keep the big stuff out of the valve body, the small particulates that a normal oil filter cleans out stays in the fluid in an automatic transmission.
heh dont need to change it THAT often, prolly comes back out red...coulda lasted 3X as long (around 30k)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:00 PM   #17
Registered Member

"Flush killed my transmission" stories are probably mostly of the same type as "synthetic killed my engine" i.e. a horribly badly maintained POS gets serviced at long last and the new stuff breaks off caked on deposits that were gonna throttle and kill it in a few more months anyway.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:18 AM   #18
Registered Member

Yeah, that's the way I understand it happens.

s2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:32 AM   #19
Registered Member

Yeah, at least up until:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
[...] that were gonna throttle and kill it in a few more months anyway.
I've cluelessly triggered one of these failures on a friend's VW. While I can't say for sure what would have happened had I left it alone, it wasn't displaying any symptoms when I changed the fluid and filter.
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #20
Registered Member

When it comes to transmissions, the more the better. As expensive as modern trannies are, it's cheap at the price. I've heard the rule of thumb at most of the boards I post at to be every 30k miles - more often if you feel like it.

'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote