Gas Tank Swap - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

Gas Tank Swap

I am finished my D15z1 swap swap into a 91 HF. It runs like a charm. I however would like to put a bigger gas tank in it. Does anyone know what other vehicles I can take one off of. Can I take one out of an accord or do I have to stick with 88 to 91 civics.

seeodywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Registered Member

Some quick poking around on Rockauto.com shows that the other Hondas of that year appear to have very different tanks. Even the 4-dr & 3-dr civics used different tanks.

I seem to vaguely recall someone asking a similar question a while back(though I could be wrong) and the consensus was that there was no direct replacement. One option if range is a bigger concern than carrying capacity would be to add a fuel cell to the trunk. However that would require custom plumbing & wiring and an axillary fuel pump to either feed the engine directly or pump fuel from the cell to the stock tank.

Think inside the Box!
Improbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have seen posts where people have switched fuel tanks with other civics. I however wanted to go a little bigger. Part places usually wont list them as compatible if they are not an exact match.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
Registered Member

not to be critical but how much range do you need?

I know that the VXs would routinely do 50+ mpg and even if the tank is only 8 gallons, that give you a range of 400 miles as a minimum and there are VX guys on here doing much better than 50.

at the same time, it would be cool to only fill up once evere thousand miles.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Registered Member

I want as much as possible. Within reason. The seventeen or 16 gallon on the accord seems real nice. I would settle with the 13 in a civic sedan.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
If you go too large, the weight of the tank and the weight of all that gas will have a significant effect on your FE.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
Registered Member

I got that. I don't think it will make much of a difference. Five or six gallons of gas isn't going to kill the fuel economy.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:37 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Probably not. I'm usually the first to dismiss the effect of that amount of weight on FE, but in a recent thread I was convinced that cars like yours are quite sensitive to it.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:46 AM   #9
Registered Member

Having a passenger isnt quite affecting my FE, (150 pounds...).

And a question, isnt the 91 model lighter then a regular 92 vx (2100 pounds)?
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:00 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improbcat View Post
One option if range is a bigger concern than carrying capacity would be to add a fuel cell to the trunk. However that would require custom plumbing & wiring and an axillary fuel pump to either feed the engine directly or pump fuel from the cell to the stock tank.
Would you absolutely need an extra fuel pump for the trunk fuel cell? Gravity should do all the work, shouldn't it?

KU40 is offline   Reply With Quote