Got a 94 VX! But... a couple little problems.. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2008, 07:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

Got a 94 VX! But... a couple little problems..

Car has 277+k miles, but still runs well. 94 White w/ CA ECU and 5 wire O2, plus a fed ECU as well, 5 spd w/ factory AC and 13" wheels all stock. Tranny and CVs seem to be in good shape, idles and runs smooth. Dings and cosmetics here and there, but the car IS 14 years old I have to expect that. Some of the things I'd like to fix right away though...

1) Speedo not working, was reading up on a search and it looks like you guys usually say either the VSS or the cluster (ugh)... Could you tell me where the VSS is actually located on the transaxle? I'd like to know what kind of MPG this thing is actually getting.

2) A/C and blower will not blow out of the dash vents, just the floor, no matter what the selector switch is on. Think this could be a vacuum line problem, or is this also common to go out on a VX? A/C is also not blowing cold air, but I will address that as soon as I find out whats wrong with the selector switch, hopefully its just low on 134a.

3) I am going to run a search on how to change/check the timing belt as I have already read this is a must for these cars.

This is my first Honda (car), I have owned a 2001 CBR F4i streetbike and many dirtbikes, always impressed with quality. Stepping out of my 01 14MPG Silverado, I am already amazed how the fuel gauge doesnt even MOVE in this little thing. Pretty excited about getting this car back in shape, hope to hear from you guys soon.

Thanks,

Jason

jshelton441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
FWIW, you can probably squeeze more MPG out of your truck. I'm currently getting 17 out of my 2002 5.3 4x4, and others do even better. I'm guessing you still have the truck and need to use it sometimes.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah I have consistently got 14MPG since I bought it, but it also has a 4" lift with 33"x12.50 tires on 20" ProComp aluminum wheels. I use the truck for work (is loaded with tools and parts) and when I go camping or dirtbike riding. It has a K&N CAI, Magnaflow 3" catback, Superchip and all synthetic fluids. I don't drive crazy either, pretty laid back with the throttle. But I commute up to sixty miles one way for work, so the VX seemed like the best decision for long term commuting until I am done with college (and hopefully that will stop!)

Jason
Old 05-17-2008, 08:17 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Did you adjust your speedometer/odometer for your tires?

It's definitely silly to commute in it, as long as you can find something more efficient that's at least partially as comfortable. Pretty much nothing is as comfortable as my Sierra.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:20 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yes, with the Superchip programmer you can adjust the VSS and shift points. I love it because it drives so nice, like driving a recliner to work and it has plenty of power. But saving 500 bucks a month sounds even better, it'll be waiting for me when I get home
Old 05-17-2008, 08:41 AM   #6
Registered Member

How much did the programmer cost? I'd love to adjust my shift points, I could probably gain 2mpg or more.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:46 AM   #7
Registered Member

It was around 300-350, you can adjust for advanced 87 octane timing, 91 octane timing, bring up the shift point RPM and firmness, recalc the mileage, etc. Im really happy with it, after the lift I lost very little power and no MPG compared to factory, but I didn't go with 35" tires which are 25lbs per tire heavier alone. Truck does great off road and in sand with the wide tires and handles suprisingly well on the street/freeway for how big it is.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshelton441 View Post
Car has 277+k miles, but still runs well. 94 White w/ CA ECU and 5 wire O2, plus a fed ECU as well, 5 spd w/ factory AC and 13" wheels all stock. Tranny and CVs seem to be in good shape, idles and runs smooth. Dings and cosmetics here and there, but the car IS 14 years old I have to expect that. Some of the things I'd like to fix right away though...

1) Speedo not working, was reading up on a search and it looks like you guys usually say either the VSS or the cluster (ugh)... Could you tell me where the VSS is actually located on the transaxle? I'd like to know what kind of MPG this thing is actually getting.

[snip]

Jason
It's probably the cluster. My VSS went bad and replacing it did nothing, and I'll be very surprised if it fixes it for you. This is a very common problem with this car. If I remember right, it's on the left side when facing the engine bay. Kinda low down toward the back of the bay. I think it was above the transaxle, you could reach it from the top of the engine bay.

I never replaced my cluster because it seems like a lot of money to throw at the car just to get an odometer and to track my mileage the easy way. But I may still do it. Instead, to track my mileage, I use google maps. you can right click on any street and a menu pops and up you can select start of trip--adn then right click at the end of the destination for finish. Using the satellite/terrain view instead of the standard view makes it easier to know exactly where you started and stopped. But parking lots and driveways you have to guestimate... or measure that distance and slide your start or destination to lengthen the route by the extra distance you drove that google maps can't navigate to (parking lots, driveways etc)

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
I never replaced my cluster because it seems like a lot of money to throw at the car just to get an odometer and to track my mileage the easy way.
I don't know exactly how much money you're talking about, but these days a GPS would be pretty cheap. You just need to make sure it can act as speedometer and odometer. You could get a used off-brand one whose maps can't be updated (which would sell at rock-bottom price) and not ask it to do any routes for you.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
Registered Member

jason
just get a used cluster off of ebay
its a plug and play and they are very inexpensive.
trust me this has happenned to me before.
the speedo is all wacky right

SHWINN MOUNTAIN BIKE
GAS SAVER FAT BURNER

TOTAL MILES DISPLACED BY SHWIIN ON THE WAY TO WORK. 45 TOTAL MILES
mkiVX is offline   Reply With Quote