hard start Civic VX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
Supporting Member

hard start Civic VX

After having driven around 3000 enjoyable miles with the VX I am having starting problems with it. Not sure if it has something to do with the current heat, but it pretty much seemed to start this week. Symptoms: hard to start, ranging from 5 to 20 tries. Today for the first time I also noticed that the car was actually already running for say one second before the engine died and I had to start again (taking another 10 tries after that).
This also goes for a warmed up engine. Today I had a hard time getting it started. Took like 20 times and I felt it was running and died on me twice. I did some extra pumps in case it has something to do with the fuel pump but not too much to avoid flooding. Then I drove to the supermarket and library. After being done in the supermarket it took me another 6 to 7 times to get it started.
Any ideas where I should be looking at? I was thinking the fuelpump but then why do I still get it started at all? Spark plugs and such have been replaced recently except for the spark plug cables.
Suggestions wold be appreciated!

McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
Supporting Member

could be the main EFI relay

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
Registered Member

Fuel or fire. Its likely one of these.

Check the fuel filter. Clean injectors. Check fuel pump pressure.

Lots of electrical reasons for it to fail. Had a friend with an old civic that the ECU became temperature sensitive. On a hot day he had to open the doors and fan behind the glove box for a while and it would start. It would crank just not start and he had one shot at it because the more he cranked the longer it had to sit before it would eventually crank. Yea thats crazy! Replaced ECU problem solved.
Not likely a single plug wire causing this.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
Registered Member

I'm afraid I'm not of much help here, as I have a similar problem with my VX. I look forward to other ideas on this issue. If I am trying to start the engine not long after shutdown (like a stall), or sometimes when the ambient temp is very hot, it just cranks. If I leave it alone for 2-5 minutes, it will usually start again. It has always has started in the morning when cold.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Main Relay is the usual suspect for heat related long (hard) starts. HERE is a great DIY on how to repair the Relay yourself and save $100.

If the fuel filter is the original or older than 3 years, it wouldn't hurt to change that as well.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:08 AM   #6
Supporting Member

The fuel filter has been replaced with an original Honda fuel filter a few weeks ago so that can't be it. That DIY looks great TomO. Thank you and everybody else for the advice I will follow up on how this worked out after trying and fix the main relay.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:47 PM   #7
Registered Member

TomO to the rescue! Another source for Honda info here: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old 08-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #8
Supporting Member

Well, had to wait a few days till i had time, but this DIY worked out great. Only had t solder one point that didn't look good really and the car started right up after that, even though we have a 98 degree day today.
Thanks!
Old 08-12-2007, 11:11 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Glad it worked for you McPatrick. Just an FYI for you and anyone else that does this: Even though it may look like one or two bad joints, resolder them all just to cover your bases. It would suck to have another joint fail shortly after pulling out and resoldering the Main relay.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #10
Supporting Member

My wife turned out be a certified solderer (didn't even know it) and she thought just the one joint was needed, but if I have any more hard starts she promissed me to do them all