Hello! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-12-2007, 06:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello!

New here, but I've been lurking for a bit. I'm sick of paying out the a$$ for gas on both my G35 and the trailblazer we just bought... So, I traded in my G35 (loved that car).

I'm currently looking at a 88DX, clean, but high miles. I'm interested in swapping in a VX motor, but I'm wondering about the transmission. Does anyone know how close the DX trans is to the VX? It's a 5 speed DX, I understand they also came in a 4 speed as well. Currently the car gets ~35-38mpg. Has been lowered a touch and has some 14 aftermarket rota wheels with brand new tires. Clean engine bay, clean body, 2 quarter sized spots of rust, one on each rear quarter window sill. Other than that it's stock, which for me is a good thing. Bad part, car has 310K miles on it. Motor was re-ringed/bearings at ~200K miles. Passes emmisions, no CEL's. $1200 seems to be a good deal.

Mechanically nothing about the swap, rebuilding, etc scares me. I've never had a car with over 100k miles on it, so I'm a bit apprehensive in purchasing this, but for so little money it doesn't seem like I can go wrong.

Should I pass on this, keep looking for a VX in the 2000-2500 range?

If I can find a deal as some of the members have on the board for a VX motor shipped ~$400, even with replacing some parts that may or may not need it, I think I can be in the $2000 range total into the car.

Whatcha think?

TAftonomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
Registered Member

Nothing ehh?

Old 12-14-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
Registered Member

I think you should try the CRX hf transmission. Everyoner here says that is the one you want with the VX Motor. The HF transmission has the tallest gearing of any of them expecially the 49 state model. It runs about 2K RPM at 60 MPH.

Another thing you could do is put a CRX HF head on the existing block with the MPFI and ECU like mine. Or you could do it like SVOBOY

http://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/10
FritzR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hmm...that is an avenue that I didn't even think of. HF is just the 1.5 but in MPFI correct?
Old 12-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
Registered Member

Sweet. I found a HF head w/intake and injectors for $50. In good running condition. I think I'll try the MPFI conversion and swap the head on, while I source the VX parts necessary to do that swap.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:41 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hmm...that is an avenue that I didn't even think of. HF is just the 1.5 but in MPFI correct?

Well it has a different head, which you already found one of, ecu and the valve timing is probably different. I am no master mechanic. I had mine done.

The 8 valve head works just fine on the DX block there are just two extra valve reliefs. So far I think I'm getting about 50 mpg on the highway 42 around town.

If you went with SVOBOY'S setup with the CX head and OBD1 you would be getting ready for a VX engine swap in the future though.

Search this forum and you will find plenty of people who have done or are attempting the VX swap. If you did the lean burn 49 state swap that ought to push you well over 50 MPG
FritzR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
Registered Member

I wouldn't go with a Honda with that many miles on it if you aren't used to working on Honda suspension parts. With that many miles, if anything on the car hasn't been replaced, it will need attention.

That price for that old of a civic, DX, is not a good deal. Keep looking.

I've seen very nice HF CRXs sell for under $2k.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
Registered Member

I do think I'm going to pass on that car. I've got 5+ years working on hondas, doing all kinds of swaps, but replacing suspension pieces and ball joints isn't my idea of fun. I've got ~2500 to spend, so hopefully I can find something in that range that will suit me.

I've found a few 4 door EG's (92-95) for 1500ish. Found a CLEAN 94 EX w.92k miles on it for $2700.

Ultimatly, I plan on putting a VX motor in whatever I find, and I'm going for 50+ MPG (wife has to drive over 80 miles each way to school, 3 times a week). Starting with an OBD1 planform will save time with wiring as well.

I wish the CRX was an option.....wife hates them, and since she is going to be driving it...
Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #9
Registered Member

If you haven't already, look on honda-tech.com in the regional FS forums. I've found some great deals on cars on there before, and actually bought two I found on there already. Most aren't good deals, but they do show up sometimes.

GL on the search.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:13 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
$1,200 is a good deal for a car that has a rebuilt engine and a clean solid body, the nice thing about civics is they are extreamly easy to work on, and they don't need that much attention, altho with that many miles suspention bushings might need replacing, so you set aside $200 for that, offer the guy $900 for the car and have it checked over and get it all fixed.
I would then get some lighter rims and tires, and switch to synthetic fluids, and 40-45mpg should be seen, a tranny swap would help if you spend alot of time driving fast.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote