Help me find out the problem - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2007, 08:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

Help me find out the problem

Ok so I did tried a civic vx 92 with 94 000 miles and the owners ask 2500$. The car looks clean, no rust and interior is ok. The wings of the back have been repainted this summer. The front brake will have to be changed. The alternator is new, gas tank too. The distributor seems to have no more than 2 years, and the radiator too. The engine is running very well and car started easily.

BUT, their is a problem. First of all, in neutral, the idle is erratic, 1000rpm to 1400rpm to 1000rpm on and on. Second of all, when accelerating, the car will severally hesitated and the car seems like to bug and you need to push the throttle. Its probably not just the engine going in lean burn mode. The spark plugs have been changed and might not be the good ones, but I don't think its only that, maybe the O2 sensor, but there is know check engine. So I'm wondering what could it be to see of the car worth it, or if the problem is too major. Anyone have a thought on this?

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:25 AM   #2
Registered Member

I forgot to mention, when the car is in 5th gear at 50-55 mph, the car is running normal.

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
*shrug*

fuel economy forum
vegan recipes
green home improvement
honda gas mileage
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:31 AM   #4
Registered Member

could the check engine light be burned out, or does it come on like it should (key in run with engine off)?

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:43 AM   #5
Registered Member

I would get the codes ran on it even if the check engine light does not come on. seems like these civic vx have all kinds of problems. I'm almost willing to bet their are codes on that car.
bfg9000d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Bouncy idle is more than likely the IACV (Intake Air Control Valve). There is a How-to posted if you search for IACV on here. There is a small chance that there is a vacuum leak causing it too, but my money is on the IACV.

I bet the wrong spark plugs are in the car as well.

$2500 isn't a bad price for the miles, but what do you mean by "The wings of the back have been repainted"? Do you mean the car had rust and it has been repaired on the rear quarter panels?

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:03 AM   #7
*shrug*

fuel economy forum
vegan recipes
green home improvement
honda gas mileage

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote