Hey Honda people (and others) - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey Honda people (and others)

With the weather warming up and me having more free time, I am getting ready to do my first service on my 98 Civic dx. Its got 'bout 140k on the clock, and seems to run fine.

So for my questions, what should I do?

my list right now is; Eng.oil/filter, tranny oil, air filter, pcv. I will also check my plugs soon as well. Anything else? (keep in mind my mechanical ability is somewhat limited.) What oil should i use, assume its dino in there now. I would like to switch to syn in the tranny, but not sure what wt to use.

Also my pan gasket is a wee bit wet, so i will be replacing that soon, do you guys think i need to get a torque wrench for that or can i safely wing it.

Im thinking of using some oil treatment right before i do the gasket, any thoughts?

Baranfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:52 AM   #2

Last time the timing belt was replaced?

Old 03-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Registered Member

You could try and wing it, pan bolts don't need much torque, so you could do the "finger tight, then half a turn" thing you do with spark plugs, check a week later for seepage, and give them another quarter turn at a time then.

However, deflection beam torque wrenches are quite inexpensive and can be found in the "cheap tools" bin at auto parts stores and occasionally walmart (Ours had them a couple of years ago). I mean those kind of bins where it's "everything 5.98 or 11.99" or something like that. If you're in Canada, PartSource usually has them.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
Registered Member

Don't forget to change fuel filter and you could run seafoam through you system
holypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
Registered Member

i dont have much history from the car, i just bought it 1000k mi ago. I do know that the t.belt, wpump, plugs/dist.cap/wires were done @114k, and had a new exhaust put in last year at some point.

When it comes time to do the pan, i think i will get a tqwrench. and I changed my mind about oil treatment. Im trying to save money on this car, not clog the oil passages.

so my list now is
oil change 5w30 high mileage oil
fuel/air filters
pcv valve
tranny oil (not sure what kind of oil, any help???)
seafoam intake/fuel system.
Baranfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
Registered Member

Before you replace the pan gasket, you could give the nut's on the pan a hand tighten torque. It's possible that you just have a couple that are on the shy side of loose. Not trying to discourage replacing the oil pan gasket, it's just it's rather a hassle to do, time wise.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101mpg View Post
Last time the timing belt was replaced?
And if you do the timing belt replace the water pump, they are both impossible toget to. It's a $700 job at the dealer though.
boxchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
for tranny fluid i would pick up the honda manual transmission fluid or gm synchromesh-friction modified.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxchain View Post
And if you do the timing belt replace the water pump, they are both impossible toget to. It's a $700 job at the dealer though.

Unless a 98 DX is alot different between my Integra or my CRX (and I doubt it is) this isn't a difficult job. Once you have the right tools to get the crank pulley bolt off, the rest is pretty easy.
mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #10
Registered Member

Motors in FWDs with the waterpump on the end of the motor driven off the cambelt usually take about 8-10 hours to change the pump the first time you do one, then about 4 hours for the second. Generally, you just do something like jack the motor off the passenger side mount, let it down sideways, and tackle it through the fenderwell with the splashguard off.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote