HHR - Doesn't always start-up on first attempt - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2008, 06:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

HHR - Doesn't always start-up on first attempt

I'm now driving an HHR, a 2.2L auto with remote start. It is unique from other cars I've driven in starting up. You don't have to hold the key in the ignition position. Just turning it briefly seems to engage a crank cycle from the remote start.
So it's turn the key, starter cranks for a few seconds on its own, engine starts. Usually. Sometimes on cold starts the engine doesn't catch. It'll start on the second attempt. Which is like a regular processwhere the key needs to be held in ignitition.

Any ideas on what is going on?
The battery was replaced not too long ago under warranty. The car just wouldn't start at all with the old one.
On the off chance there's water in the tank, I just put in 16oz of 91% isopropanol.
I'd like to replace the fuel filter, but it appears to be dealer only service. The filter catalogue in the store sadi N/S for fuel filters.
It is possible this is just a quirk of the car.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
I'm now driving an HHR, a 2.2L auto with remote start. It is unique from other cars I've driven in starting up. You don't have to hold the key in the ignition position. Just turning it briefly seems to engage a crank cycle from the remote start.
So it's turn the key, starter cranks for a few seconds on its own, engine starts. Usually. Sometimes on cold starts the engine doesn't catch. It'll start on the second attempt. Which is like a regular processwhere the key needs to be held in ignitition.

Any ideas on what is going on?
The battery was replaced not too long ago under warranty. The car just wouldn't start at all with the old one.
On the off chance there's water in the tank, I just put in 16oz of 91% isopropanol.
I'd like to replace the fuel filter, but it appears to be dealer only service. The filter catalogue in the store sadi N/S for fuel filters.
It is possible this is just a quirk of the car.

If the car is still under warranty I would suggest taking it back to the dealer for diagnosis. Have you checked the new battery to make sure it is fully charged? It could be a little low not sending enough amps to turn the strarter fast enough. Lots of time if battery's have been sitting around on the shelf for a long period of time they will lose part of their charge and need a little charging before putting them in the vehicle.

#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
Registered Member

Check the fuel pressure.

regards
gary
Old 07-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
Registered Member

Or reinstall stock plugs if replaced with Bosch Platinum etc.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
AFAIK: all GM products since the early 2000s have that one-touch-start thing with the ignition and all of them I've used are about 70% accurate (and I used to work in a GM dealer so thats a fair cross section). It's all dependant on the computer recognizing that the engine is running beyond the starters input and turning off the starter. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
Registered Member

[sarcasm]Heh, remind me to rush out and buy a light hybrid GM when they start offering it on more models.[/sarcasm]

Meaning of course that they will be frigging annoying of they only start the engine right 70% of the time when you're stopped in traffic.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamesama980 View Post
AFAIK: all GM products since the early 2000s have that one-touch-start thing with the ignition
I haven't noticed it on my 2002...
Old 07-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I haven't noticed it on my 2002...
the sierra? check the manual to be sure. maybe the early 2000s was just the 'nicer' brands (buick, cadillac, pontiac). I know everything since 04 or 05 has it.

My moms 02 Buick does and I've started noticing in the last month that every once in a while it doesn't catch on the first try. but it's also got about the lowest amount of service done to it of any of the cars I saw at the dealership (I filed the repair hard copies so I'd know) the only non wear-item (brakes, shocks, filters) that it's had was the intake manifold gasket which ALL the 3x00 series engines have done.

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote