high pitch squeak when engine bogs? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2006, 11:25 AM   #1
Supporting Member

high pitch squeak when engine bogs?

With an hf tranny now installed in my d15b1 civic (thanks to Ben), I have been hearing a new sound. First of all, the engine bogs and threatens to buck before the car warms up just after upshifts. It only happens after upshifts, as if I am upshifting into too high a gear. It now happens sometimes after the car warms up, and it is in all gears 2-5 for a short duration after upshifts. With the clutch depressed, the sound goes away, and although that might in some cases hint at the input bearing, I think in this case it is just the mismatched low torque engine/tall geared tranny, any thoughts? The sound is a high pitch squeak that pulses and sounds as if it is a circular motion that is causing it, which again may hint at the input bearing, no? Please Help!

EDIT: Ben, we didn't change ignition timing, cuz we couldn't budge the distributer, right?

budomove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #2
Registered Member

Budmove: I am just speculating, but I wonder if you adjusted the clutch cable just a little two tight, so that when you release the pedal the clutch tines still are just touching the throwout bearing. I don't think it's the throwout bearing, because if it was the problem, it should get noisy, when you put the clutch in, not the other way around. How much freepedal do you have with the clutch. It should be like an inch or so, at a minimum, as I recall.

When you get things setteled, please post something on your mileage, pre and post. I have a 89 and it sounds to me like I have to find an HF gear box to put in.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
Supporting Member

can you explain please, freepedal?
Old 07-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
*shrug*

I imagine that's how far you kick it in before the clutch does its business. Try losing the cable a bit.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:43 PM   #5
Supporting Member

Thanks guys, that did it! So happy It wasn't the input shaft bearing or something bad. You guys are lifesavers, I may have actually brought it to my mechanic for a diagnosis.