Highbeam/Lowbeam footswitch - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2009, 08:37 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
A floor switch for the horn doesn't sound so bad. When panic-braking, I'm usually too busy holding on to the steering wheel to take one hand off to honk, but (in an automatic) I'd have a foot free and ready to stomp.

GM ergonomics that I didn't like were in my 1997 Pontiac Grand Am; it seemed to be made by Playskool for children under the age of 2, with huge colorful plasticky knurled knobs for everything, instead of the subdued unremarkable controls in my 1987 Cadillac and 2002 GMC that actually require some dexterity to operate.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
I remember sitting in an ancient S-10 Blazer ('84?)
1984 is ancient? Kids.

GasSavers_NovaResource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #23
Site Team / Moderator

I've driven 70's era Cadillacs with auto dimming lights, and my sister used to have an 87 Cougar that had auto dimming lights. I remember I had replaced the floor mounted dimmer on my 74 chevy and the switch was rather inexpensive. I think I bought it at a NAPA dealer for under $10. For that price I wouldn't mess with stuff from surplus catalogs. Get something that was designed for the purpose to begin with.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:32 AM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaResource View Post
1984 is ancient? Kids.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:00 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
signals that extended out when you used them
What, like something stuck out the side of the car?

Or do you mean the sequential turn signals like shown on http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm? They were around on mid-'60s chryslers too (there is one near me).

-BC
Old 04-01-2009, 05:16 AM   #26
Registered Member

Stuck out from the side of the car. I guess they were trying to emulate hand signals.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
Stuck out from the side of the car. I guess they were trying to emulate hand signals.
Many cars in Europe in the 1940's and 1950's were equipped with them, including the early VW beetles. They were mounted inside the "B" pillar at window height, were about a foot long, and when activated, would flip up to a horizontal orientation, often with an flashing orange light on the end. We used to refer to them as "idiot sticks". The technical term for them is "trafficators". They were phased out of use in the early 60's as they were a hazard to nearby pedestrians when deployed.

One of the stock practical jokes often played on "newcomers" from the states was to point out to them the funny looking slot on the side of the car, then when they were taking a close look at it, hit the direction signal lever, and "whap" right in the face.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
I remember sitting in an ancient S-10 Blazer ('84?) with a floor switch for the horn. Good old GM Ergonomics for you. What about the '84 Camaro Berlinetta with the turn signals mounted on a toggle switch on the dash? I've never personally seen that one, but Car and Driver mentioned it in an article in 1997.
i dont believe the s-10 or blazer ever had a foot horn...

if it did it was someones "fix" for an oh so common broken horn thats supposed to be in the steering wheel.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
Many cars in Europe in the 1940's and 1950's were equipped with them, including the early VW beetles.
My grandfather had a lot of European cars here in the U.S., so that makes sense. He used to need a new car fairly often as he was apparently an horrendous driver!

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 04-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #30
Registered Member

My uncle says it was an English car: a Hillman Minx.

co de pen den cy