Honda D15B7 to D16Z6 swap - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Registered Member

Honda D15B7 to D16Z6 swap

I have a chance to purchase a 93 Civic DX with a blown D15B7 really cheap. I also have access to a good D16Z6 engine for free. How hard would it be to swap the D15B7 out and the D16Z6 in? Is it s straight forward swap? Would the D16Z6 make decent gas mileage if mated to a CX/VX trans when installing the engine?

GasSavers_Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Registered Member

its a direct swap, no fab work needed. hardest part would be the the shift linkage pin and the axle nut if you dont have air tools.

the gas mileage would suffer a bit, since its a 1.6 vs a 1.5. i have a z6 tranny on a b7 motor, got about 45 mpg combined when i was doing 70% highway 30 city

civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Registered Member

Only thing you'll need to add for the vtec motor is a vtec ECU and a few wires for the vtec to properly engage.

The dimensions are the same, and it will bolt in 100%.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
Registered Member

Well Dan that is not entirely true. I am in the process of doing the same swap in my '88 CRX. The D16Z6 is 7/8" taller. Anyone trying this swap may need to modify their hood as I have.

I do however have a question. I am running the D15B7 ECU. It is chipped to run the electronic Z6 Dizzy, and I have an RPM activated switch for the V-TECH. I am just wondering if that is enough or if I actually need to find a new ECU.
ReX-Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReX-Rocket View Post
Well Dan that is not entirely true. I am in the process of doing the same swap in my '88 CRX. The D16Z6 is 7/8" taller. Anyone trying this swap may need to modify their hood as I have.

I do however have a question. I am running the D15B7 ECU. It is chipped to run the electronic Z6 Dizzy, and I have an RPM activated switch for the V-TECH. I am just wondering if that is enough or if I actually need to find a new ECU.
The RPM switch isn't the proper way to activate vtec..the motor will switch over to the different cam lobes but the ecu won't be adding fuel like it should...are you OBD1? if you are running the D15b7 ECU (P06) if so then the ECU can be converted to run vtec and chipped with the proper fuel and timing maps...also I've never heard of anyone having to modify there hood for the z6 swap in an EF?? Thats interesting...

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:04 PM   #6
Registered Member

Umm.. It was my understanding that v-tech was designed to lean out the AF ratio to make more power.. Dumping more fuel into a motor makes it slower.. That is simple mechanics. But yes I had to build a custom fiberglass hood because the valve cover on the motor actually sits about an inch higher, so i had to make a cowl induction hood for it. Non-functional of course. Maybe its just the cover that I am using. Not too sure.
ReX-Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:02 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:

An '88 CRX came with a D15B6, not a D15B7... The B7 has twice as many valves...

Also, since the Civic in question (1993) was available with both motors, I would think there will be plenty of room under the hood.

(All info came from Wikipedia).
Old 08-19-2008, 05:59 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
It will fit fine in a 93 civic...Rocket what mounts are you using? its very odd, the z6 has sit perfect in any EF I have seen out in these parts...I imagine the B18b in my CRX currently is taller then a z6 and I have no clearance issues...also do some more research on "vtec" v-tech is a phone by the way...the rpm switch is not the proper way, it should be ECU controlled, the rpm is just a hack way to get it to work...either convert to OBD1 or get a PW0 or PR3 ECU chipped to run the z6 or us BRE to use a PM6 ECU for vtec, good luck with your swap...

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #9
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:

you mean anyone trying this swap into an 88 crx. it is a direct bolt in to a 92-95 civic sans vtec wiring and even then, some years have the vtec wiring there so as long as the engine harness is from a d16z6 it can be a direct bolt in swap
Old 08-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #10
Registered Member

never heard of the hood being too low. had a d16z6 in my 89 civic wagon no problems.

turbowagonman is offline   Reply With Quote