honda fit Question - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
jmf
Registered Member

honda fit Question

My friend just sent me this question:

"We bought a Honda Fit at the beginning of the month. The engine revs to over 3,000 RPM's at 60 MPH, is that normal given the size of the engine? "

Anyone with a fit, does this sound normal.

Thanks

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:45 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Re: honda fit Question

Yes, that's normal for a Fit. It's Honda sticking to their reputation of low torque and high RPM.

A report from a Fit owner: http://www.standardshift.com/forum/v...193083#p193083
Quote:
i go 70 mph at 3.5k in 5th gear
Feeding data from http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/specifications.aspx into http://www.f-body.org/gears shows that 60mph should be closer to 2800, but math doesn't always equal reality when you account for varying tire sizes, gauge calibrations, etc.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
jmf
Registered Member

Thanks I will let them know.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared

yup. my wife has a fit and the gearing is the most obnoxious thing about the car to me. i wish it had a 6spd like the sentras.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

If they changed it to a 6 speed, it is likely that they'd make the gears closer together instead of tacking on another gear (or otherwise providing a wider total range). That seems to be SOP. Either engineers or customers don't like a tall gear that can only be used at highway speed and may require an occasional downshift for climbing/passing.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Registered Member

The Fit seems to have a very short first gear and isn't as easy to be 'smooth' compared to Civics. I only drove a manual of a friends a couple of times, though.

I just now tried driving a '99 Civic Si of a friend today; comparing it to the '92 VX, I definitely could get into the feel of the Si easily. I could get the car to 5th gear so much faster in the Si than in the VX. I wonder if its because of having more HP and torque? It rode as well, or better, in 5th at 30 MPH in the Si compared to 5th at 40 MPH in the VX. I did like the ride comfort improvement to boot. The VX just wants to die compared to the Si if you try to drive it very easily. I'd imagine its because of going in/out of lean burn.

Though, I must say my memories are from the VX with the bad 02 sensor until just recently, and; since it was replaced the other day, the ride has changed drastically. It still is a little 'sensitive' but I reckon it all goes back to it being a lean burn motor.

I certainly wouldn't recommend trying to go all out racer with a D15Z1. Leave it to a non-lean burn engine. It'll last longer at least as a ricer, let alone performance gains.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980

yep, small engine=high revs.

as for adding gears, I wish all my cars had a T56-like 6th gear. Just about the only transmission that did it right. .5:1 oh heck yea
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:55 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by add|ct View Post
I could get the car to 5th gear so much faster in the Si than in the VX. I wonder if its because of having more HP and torque? It rode as well, or better, in 5th at 30 MPH in the Si compared to 5th at 40 MPH in the VX.
That is mainly because of gears. The Si has very short gearing, like the fit. The VX has some of the tallest gearing that Honda has ever sold (the HF too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamesama980 View Post
as for adding gears, I wish all my cars had a T56-like 6th gear. Just about the only transmission that did it right. .5:1 oh heck yea
I feel the same way...although I guess you can get approximately the same result by putting in a taller axle ratio, as long as the difference between 1st and 6th is the same. My project has a .72:1 5th and with its tall rear end it's going to go 70mph at 1700 RPM. In fact I'm a bit worried about it being too tall, but I'll see once I get it on the road. Torque peak is at 2000RPM so I'm hoping it'll be ok.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #9
Registered Member

Sure, I figured the gears being taller were part of it, but was kinda of sickened by the Si. It being so much smoother with the response, comparable to what the VX has in 5th at 55, it had more in 5th gear at 30 MPH. I was offering to trade for the Si if they'd take my Stratus.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
jmf
Registered Member

Is it possible to toss a D15Z1 into a Fit. The fit weights 400lbs more, maybe some of that is engine weight. Maybe save some weight with PS delete. Also the D15Z1 has 25 less HP than the Fit, but it would be nice to have a four door Vx.