honda swap, need help - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #11
Registered Member

when I speak of freshening, I meant a rering and bearing job. the motor is REALLY tired. I've got a rear main seal that leaks about 1.5 qts every oil change, it's got 145k miles, just had its first timing belt change, still on the original clutch, before the timing belt it was pinging like crazy. I'm the third owner and I've babied it as much as I can. I don't mind the longer gears from the different transmission, especially if it means less money per month at the pump. I've found a number of places I can source the engine from, but where can I source the trans? haven't really found anywhere for one yet. also, does the JDM computer plug right into my obd1 harness? or do I need an adapter, and if so, where can I get one? thanks again

crazymechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:42 PM   #12
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymechanic
when I speak of freshening, I meant a rering and bearing job. the motor is REALLY tired. I've got a rear main seal that leaks about 1.5 qts every oil change, it's got 145k miles, just had its first timing belt change, still on the original clutch, before the timing belt it was pinging like crazy. I'm the third owner and I've babied it as much as I can. I don't mind the longer gears from the different transmission, especially if it means less money per month at the pump. I've found a number of places I can source the engine from, but where can I source the trans? haven't really found anywhere for one yet. also, does the JDM computer plug right into my obd1 harness? or do I need an adapter, and if so, where can I get one? thanks again
Transmission: You can get one from various honda websites, like Honda-Tech. A lot of people buy Civic VXs and put in differnet engines and transmissions. I'm certain that you can find one for $50+shipping if you ask around enough.

Engine harness: You won't need a harness, but you will need to run a few wires to the ECU. One for the EGR Control Box, one for the vtec solenoid, and one for the vtec oil pressure sensor. You'll also need to run an extra wire for the 5th oxygen sensor wire (the d15b7 has 4 wires), unless you get an ECU from a California VX, which only used a 4 wire o2 sensor.

I would recommend against using a JDM ECU, and that's only b/c no one will be able to help you with any issues. Everyone who has done this swap got their ECU from someone who swapped out their d15z1 for another engine. I also have no idea if the JDM ECU uses the same plugs as the USDM ECU or not. Your current plugs will fit the d15z1 ecu with no problems at all. As I mentioned you will just have to add a few wires, which is easy as pie.

I bought my JDM vtec-e engine from nippon-motors.com, and it was cheap and in great shape. It even came with the flywheel and clutch.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:55 AM   #13
Registered Member

I'll see if I can find a US ecu then, and get the ball rolling on this. thanks a lot for your help. I'll keep you guys updated when I get the engine and start the project.
crazymechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:24 AM   #14

Check out my gaslog...the jump in FE a few months ago is solely due to an HF transmission swap. I have a DIY on here about doing the swap. A VX tranny swap (hydro, not cable) would be nearly exactly the same.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote