Hood insulation? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-08-2008, 07:18 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hateful View Post
Is the underside open between the bumper and the front of the radiator; that could be blocked. Where is the air intake getting air; warmer air under the hood would warm quicker than a cold air intake from outside the engine bay.
Ahh yes,,, another reminder of future projects I have yet to accomplish!!!

Obviously these entail more work than throwing a piece of cardboard over the engine, and I may do them this summer. Right now I have the back of the grill blocked with some Coroplast, and the idea of a bellypan/engine compartment block is appealing. AFA the air intake I do have it drawing from the engine compartment, no special ducting though.

I'm pretty happy with the 40 MPG I'm getting on a 06 corolla with an AT, but yeah, I could do more.....

GasSavers_theCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:42 AM   #12
Registered Member

Most cars don't even have the insulation. Out of all the ones I've owned, one has had it, and it fell apart in the end anyhow.

With or without it, it will make little difference. I'd probably remove it to save some lbs.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #13
Registered Member

Mine doesn't have it either, although everything else I've owned did have the insulation. Haven't really noticed a difference either way.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danronian View Post
Most cars don't even have the insulation. Out of all the ones I've owned, one has had it, and it fell apart in the end anyhow.

With or without it, it will make little difference. I'd probably remove it to save some lbs.
It's funny you say that, because all of the cars I have owned (except hondas) have had them, most were in the process of falling out though.

I would imagine the only mpg advantage these can provide, is a slight amount of thermal insulation for the engine on short engine off stops. I was browsing around an insight forum, and they actually had lovely coat like things made for their engines. That would be the way to go, way less noise, and much faster warm ups. Early sensor death though?
Old 06-16-2008, 03:09 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCase View Post
I've got a large piece of corrugated cardboard from a box covering the top and two sides of my engine to help it maintain temps.

Does it help?? maybe. I live in a 9000 DD climate and will take any advantage when it's -20F. At that temp, the hell with mileage, I just want the heater to warm up!
If you want to help your engine warm up and maintain heat in the winter put a piece of cardboard in front of your radiator to keep the air from going through it cooling the water.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:48 AM   #16
Registered Member

i saw a on youtube on "how to hypermile" and they said to add insulation under the hood. and it looked like just a some foil and duck tape. here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfGFgXTpQW4
has anyone done this?