How often do you change your manual transmission fluid? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2008, 01:33 AM   #31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer View Post
I only change the oil in the manual transmission when I have to pull the transmission to replace the clutch. I figure for the amount of oil it takes and what it removes, it's pretty cheap insurance at that point.
Yeah, that is one of the reasons that I am gonna change it in the jeep. I want the tranny to feel like butter ok, I doubt it'll do that much good but it's also most likely in good order as I will be towing. should I use a thicker oil/synthetic for towing? is there any significant longevity in doing this? everything I've read so far (here and elsewhere) changing the fluid makes it a little easier to shift/the whole thing runs a little smoother. Don't worry, I plan to change the stuff in the rear end too

-Becoming the Archetype
thecheese429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:06 AM   #32

Ive been planning on changing the manual transmission oil in my Nissan Sentra, however was not sure what fluid to put back into it so I held off. The other day I went and picked up some BG Syncro shift 2, this is a full synthetic. I have never previously changed this on my car which I've owned for two years now but the oil that came out wasn't as bad as I imagined it being. It did smell like burned *******.
Someone mentioned taking the fill plug out first, this is very true. I pulled my drain off first, then when I tried to get the fill plug off it was much harder. even though It is a number 10 allen key the thing almost stripped away when using a cheater bar. Overall this was a lot easier than I expected. To fill it back up I simply used a funnel and some vinyl tubing that fit snuggly into the fill hole, simply fill until it over flows with the car level.

Shifting is now improved, before the shifts where a little harder while the car was cold, now its like butter all day long.

Now the shifter bushings need changing to make it feel like new

Skoomaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #33
Registered Member

For the person that says that brake fluid shouldn't be changed you are so wrong. It is hydroscopic it wicks moisture and in doing so it lowers it's boiling point. BMW Mercedes Volvo all teccomend change evey 2 years. All fluids breakdown. All need changed and it depends on the quality of the fluid and how hard it is pushed.

Rusty94cx is offline   Reply With Quote