How often do you change your manual transmission fluid? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-04-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question How often do you change your manual transmission fluid?

I drove to Wal-Mart today seeking my usual $24.71 Tech 2000 oil change for the Geo, only to be informed it was going to be a 3 hour wait (which was weird because it was after 3pm and the auto service department closes at 5pm).

I ended up going to one of those 'drop in' oil change places and paid nearly $41 for the base 5W30 oil change. Everything under the hood was inspected fine, except for my manual transmission fluid which looked like a dark grey soup. The oil change person said it would be $49.99 to change it, but I declined simply because I didn't want to spend the money today.

Is there places that can do this manual transmission fluid change for cheap (Wal-Mart has always put N/A next to trnsmission fluid check)? How important is it for this fluid to be changed?

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Registered Member

it sgrey from fine metalic bits from the gears, alot of its probably have to do with when the car was first made and all the burrs on the gears and castings are now freely floatign around.(somewhat) the drainplug has a strong magnet on it to get the bigger chunks stuck so they dont go between gears and cause damage and such.

if its grey i would deff change it out. i wouldnt trust walmart doing anything to my car tho...

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
i wouldnt trust walmart doing anything to my car tho...
I don't trust them for anything, auto or otherwise...

As far as who to use, I don't trust the big-box chain stores anymore. It's tough to do, but try to seek-out an independent shop with a good name -- word on the street stuff. I'm still looking myself -- especially when it comes time for major repairs/swaps.

As far as the change frequency, ummm

RH77
Old 10-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
Registered Member

I'm starting to think this way... coolant, tranny and brake fluid every 3 years unless required sooner...
Old 10-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
Registered Member

For a Honda, which get syncro /bearing issues with high miles, I would do it around every 50-100k miles. Any sooner would be a waste I think. Probably the same case for the Metro. It is very easy to do yourself if you have some jackstands and an oil pan. Even if it's your first oil change ever, it is possible to do yourself.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
"How often do you change your manual transmission fluid?"

Never.

but if yers looks bad then do it
.... apparently all that metal slurry floating around through the gears is good for a transmission? not just his, but anyone's manual transmission? Well... I guess if synros didn't wear, or you never ground a gear in your life, then possibly you might get away with never changing it.

seriously... come on here. most manufacturers recommend every 60-100k miles before changing.

change it to a good synthetic, and you'll never go back to the dino tranny fluids.
Pyrorocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrorocketeer View Post

seriously... come on here. most manufacturers recommend every 60-100k miles before changing.
VW is silent about gear oil service life -- apparently they use some crazy synthetic stuff (as opposed to "regular" synthetic) in there that never has to be changed I changed mine with OE fluid at 100K miles -- and noticed an improvement shifting (easier). My 2nd gear shift was also incredibly difficult to shift occasionally - changing the gear oil resolved that

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
VW is silent about gear oil service life -- apparently they use some crazy synthetic stuff (as opposed to "regular" synthetic) in there that never has to be changed I changed mine with OE fluid at 100K miles -- and noticed an improvement shifting (easier). My 2nd gear shift was also incredibly difficult to shift occasionally - changing the gear oil resolved that

yup, get rid of all the metal dust in the oil and its gonna shift easier. cuz the metal is takign up space in the oil so you gotta shift thru metal dust sludge. drain it all and refill with new and its good clean fun!!!

id change every 100K miles, more often if you tow/haul anyhting (obviously for a general maintince thing for all cars/trucks)

brake fluid shouldnt relaly need to be changed unless its getting super cloudy/leaking or has a lot of dirt in it or so...

lol change it...stuff breaks down over time anyways, metal dust and such isnt too good for the small fine bearings in the tranny. if you have a rwd car or truck check the rear end color and level. has a buncha gears and burrs floating around too.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #9
*shrug*

VW also makes crappy cars on which parts break that never should,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #10
Registered Member

My VW trans has over 350k miles.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote