I bought a $60 5-wire O2 sensor - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

I bought a $60 5-wire O2 sensor

UPDATE BELOW

I bought the $60 NTK 5-wire O2 sensor on Ebay. I ordered it last Friday and it was in my mailbox today for about $62 shipped. This link may not still work, but here is the listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...053122822&rd=1

From the ad, it seems that the sensor comes without a connector and you have to splice it to your connector using butt connectors. However, when I received the sensor today, this is how it looked.

It had the connector, and it is the right connector! It plugged right into my VX. After installing it, I drove my car about 20 miles. The CEL hasn't come back on. With my old O2 sensor, if I cleared the computer and drove it, the light would come back in 5-10 minutes. So far it appears to be a good sensor.

I will update this thread to let you know how this thing holds up.

Here's my VX.

GasSavers_Crazy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
Registered Member

Try to record the MPG you're getting with this sensor too to show us how it performs compared to the OEM version.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danronian View Post
Try to record the MPG you're getting with this sensor too to show us how it performs compared to the OEM version.
I will. I filled it up today. It will take me about 10 days or so to burn through. I'll post my mileage.

With the old (bad) O2 sensor, I was getting low 40s.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Registered Member

Wow, that car looks perfect. I notice extra-nice details, like the way the wiper blades haven't started shedding black paint.

How long have you had it? How many miles on it?
monroe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
Registered Member

i bought a similar one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...249596384&rd=1
$169+$10 shipping including insurance.

it came in a bag and has NTK Japan stamped on it not a honda sticker like yours. no L1H1.

does yours have L2H2 or NTK stamped on it? so far i have about 50 miles on the sensor no CEL yet.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe74 View Post
Wow, that car looks perfect. I notice extra-nice details, like the way the wiper blades haven't started shedding black paint.

How long have you had it? How many miles on it?

Thanks. I bought it in Feb. of this year. I has 129k on it. I made a few cosmetic changes, like the front lip, a carbon fiber rear spoiler, and solid amber corner lenses. I also put in seats and door panels from a Civic Si.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
Registered Member

Looks like one of the nicest VXs I've ever seen (and I've looked at a bunch, both online and in the real world). If you take care of it, I bet it will give you excellent service for a long time, and it will be a good investment.

My general advice would be to keep it relatively original.

I think the two big threats to the life of your car are rust and theft. But it looks like you live in a sunny climate, so maybe rust isn't an issue.
monroe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
Registered Member

UPDATE: I have now driven 400 miles after installing the $60 O2. I have had no check engine light pop up and the car runs great. I filled up on gas today and calculated my mileage - 55.13 MPG! YAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe74 View Post
Looks like one of the nicest VXs I've ever seen (and I've looked at a bunch, both online and in the real world). If you take care of it, I bet it will give you excellent service for a long time, and it will be a good investment.

My general advice would be to keep it relatively original.

I think the two big threats to the life of your car are rust and theft. But it looks like you live in a sunny climate, so maybe rust isn't an issue.
Thanks. I intend on keeping it original in all the important ways. I did change the seats and door panels to parts from a Civic Si. I also added the front lip spoiler and a carbon fiber rear spoiler. I have no intention of ever doing an engine swap or swapping the wheels.

I live in southern Arizona, so rust is not an issue. I live in a pretty nice neighborhood, and the car is locked in my garage every night so I don't sweat thieves too much.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #9
Registered Member

Congrats on your find! I payed $169 for my L1H1 from quality_auto_parts just a couple months ago. I was looking to pick up another O2 sensor for my second VX - just checked out evalero1 auctions ...looks like $60 L2H2 are all sold out... May be he'll have more later, it sure was a good deal

Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy88 View Post
UPDATE: I have now driven 400 miles after installing the $60 O2. I have had no check engine light pop up and the car runs great. I filled up on gas today and calculated my mileage - 55.13 MPG! YAY!

Thanks. I intend on keeping it original in all the important ways. I did change the seats and door panels to parts from a Civic Si. I also added the front lip spoiler and a carbon fiber rear spoiler. I have no intention of ever doing an engine swap or swapping the wheels.

I live in southern Arizona, so rust is not an issue. I live in a pretty nice neighborhood, and the car is locked in my garage every night so I don't sweat thieves too much.
djenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
Registered Member

Now I really feel bad. I paid over $300 for my O2 sensor (Majestic Honda) - I found out about the $169 one on Ebay too late. Now there's your post about one for $62 ! TANJ (There Ain't No Justice)... And I thought I did a thorough web search for the lowest price. Such is life. I congratulate you on your good fortune. Your VX looks to be in fine shape.

Avg. MPG before O2 replacement: 40

Avg. MPG after O2 replacement: 47

That's a 17.5% improvement.