Ideas needed for car mods for right leg above knee amputee to drive a manual trans - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatto View Post
Erik,
No artificial leg?
Not yet- hopefully I'll have one by the end of the month (the swelling needs to decrease some more), but I'm not sure that I will be able trust an artificial leg to safely go between the gas and brake pedals while driving.

Once I get the real artificial leg I can likely make the "box" on the brake pedal shoe shaped.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:48 AM   #32
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
It's so incredibly awesome that you're doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
In the event of a power brake failure, the left leg can help in pushing the brake pedal down (maybe I'll put a ledge on the outside of the box that the left foot can get a good emergency grip on).
Do you think you can fit the brake pedal from an automatic in there? That would give you plenty of pedal.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #33
Registered Member

Completely agreed on that one. I would mount the hand throttle as low as possible on the shifter handleitself as I could to keep from having the cable moving alot under the dash and such , and tey to leave a little slack in the cable and sheath for the movement of the shifter.
OldCorolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Not yet- hopefully I'll have one by the end of the month (the swelling needs to decrease some more), but I'm not sure that I will be able trust an artificial leg to safely go between the gas and brake pedals while driving.

Once I get the real artificial leg I can likely make the "box" on the brake pedal shoe shaped.
There are scads of recently wounded Vets who would be happy to help you learn how to handle your situation, I bet. Asking them for help will give them a sense of self-worth, helping someone else and I bet they would like the contact with a civilian.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:32 AM   #35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post

Do you think you can fit the brake pedal from an automatic in there? That would give you plenty of pedal.
I'm not sure it would fit- there isn't very much space between the pedals as it is.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #36
Registered Member

Glad you're doing better. As you said before don't give up the things you enjoy doing. I had an accident almost 10 years ago that left me disabled and suffering from chronic pain, but it hasn't stopped me from doing most of the things I enjoy. It has made them more difficult and sometimes I have to put things off for several days or weeks until I feel up to doing them, but they still eventually get done.

You might also need to check with the state DOT for suggestions and what would keep your liability risks at a minimum in the event you were ever involved in an accident using a modified system.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post

You might also need to check with the state DOT for suggestions and what would keep your liability risks at a minimum in the event you were ever involved in an accident using a modified system.
Fordman- thanks for the encouragement- yeah I will move a little slower than I used to- hopefully I will take more time to smell the roses.

Good point on the liability issue. I have been mulling my proposed contraption over more and more and have pretty much settled on the ultimate KISS solution- pedal extenders for the accelerator and brake pedals that will allow me to directly work the controls with my stump without any crazy looking bolt on "driving leg" (as I said before, I have very good strength and control of my stump).

I know pedal extenders are legal for ppl with short legs- so liability shouldn't be an issue since technically I have a similar condition
Old 10-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #38
Registered Member

I just ordered this pair for $165 shipped (I'll just need to add another piece of metal to each to extend the pedals far enough to reach my stump).

Of all the ones I looked at, I like this unit's multiple mounting holes that enable the angle of the pedals to be adjusted.

They should arrive on Friday- I'll post pics of the final installation.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #39
Registered Member

That looks like it should work once you get the length adjusted to your needs. Don't feel too bad, I think all us guys have one short leg. LOL You just may be the only one that has 3 legs all of different lengths.

Such things as have happened to you and I really make you slow down and enjoy life a little. Before I had my accident about all I thought about was working then coming home and working more. Now I take the time to spend with my wife and family. (when I can't find something better to do) LOL
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #40
Registered Member

Re: Ideas needed for car mods for right leg above knee amputee to drive a manual tran

Just wondering if you ever found a solution to your right leg amputation/want to drive a straight shift problem. Believe it or not the Veterans Administration used to fund a gadget that solved your problem. It was a simple metal rod welded to the brake pedal that extended over to the clutch pedal. When the brake pedal was compressed, it also engaged the clutch. Think about it. It works. When you need to slow down or come to a full stop, the clutch engages thereby disengaging the transmission. Let me know as I'm interested in the same subject.

SlobberDawg is offline   Reply With Quote