JDM D15B Vtec 3 Stage into 94 CX whats else is needed? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

JDM D15B Vtec 3 Stage into 94 CX whats else is needed?

I'm contemplating swapping a d15b Vtec 3-stage engine into my 94 CX, supposedly the d15b Vtec 3-stage is Hondas culmination of having your cake and eating it also, well at least so it appears with all the info I have read. Its suppose to be approx 130ish HP with the economy of the Vx b15z1. If so that would be a fun combo. The engine comes with the engine to ECU harness, the OBD2 ECU and also the correct 5 speed trans, so my question is what else besides the exhaust system is needed for this swap and is it do-able?

Thanks Steve

Stevo440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Registered Member

Yes very doable. The only thing is a little wiring. You will need to run some wiring from the cabin and you will probably need a jumper harness. Obd1 to obd2. Still no one seems to have the answer if the jdm trans is a cx/vx style a dx/lx style or ex/si style. So if you do it please chime in and answer. If you have a good cx trans i would use it.

Rusty94cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty94cx View Post
Yes very doable. The only thing is a little wiring. You will need to run some wiring from the cabin and you will probably need a jumper harness. Obd1 to obd2. Still no one seems to have the answer if the jdm trans is a cx/vx style a dx/lx style or ex/si style. So if you do it please chime in and answer. If you have a good cx trans i would use it.
My thoughts exactly.
iveyjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Registered Member

Well it comes complete with its 5-spd manual trans that is standard to that engine with a 3.25 1st gear, 1.90 2nd, 1.25 3rd, .909 4th and .750 5th with a 4.25 FDR but I have the Cx trans which has the same 3.25 1st and different 1.76 2nd, 1.066 3rd, .853 4th and .702 5th with a much different 3.25 FDR that is in my car now. I don't know which one to use since the Cx's trans has large gear spacing from gear to gear, I don't know if the 3-stage has enough bottom-end to smoothly accelerate from a stop in 1st gear and carry over into 2nd. I know the hwy mpg's would be better with the Cx's trans. So the trans is another ? which one to use? As stated it has the original ECU and wiring harness from engine to ECU so the extra wiring info is all welcome info to me, I don't want to get started and involved till I know what I need and what I have to do since I am working in Montreal and the car is here with me and don't have any other transportation so I'll have to rent a car for a week or whatever is needed. Gotta go for now. Thanks for responding Steve
Stevo440 is offline   Reply With Quote