JDM d15b vtec-e into VX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-19-2010, 02:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

JDM d15b vtec-e into VX

Hello all!
I am planning on replacing my d15z1 with its JDM counterpart. my Z1 needs a new timing belt, water pump and possible headgasket as it is starting to smoke even after a good 30min drive, and i have never gotten it to idle correctly.

Just wanted to know what i need/should keep from my original motor i.e. sensors, mounts, injectors. I have been reading the random posts but no one has compiled a list for these swaps. Also if anyone has dealt with a trusty importer they would recommend.

Thanks in advance.

XxDrUnKnMuNkxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:08 AM   #2
Registered Member

How many miles on the original engine?

I did the head gasket replacement on an 89 Accord. It's not that bad of a job.
My exhaust smelled like I was burning antifreeze. While I was sitting at a toll booth the wind changed direction & got a wiff.

Dave

92 Prelude Si
Dave's Civic Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:01 AM   #3
Registered Member

Benjamin Jones at crxmpg (http://www.crxmpg.com/) swapped one into his
'91 CRX not terribly long ago. His experience is on their home page.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
Registered Member

Its got about 177k on the original motor. I just replaced the exhaust that was riddled with holes, so I dont know how long its actually been smoking for. Its also been having idling issues since I have owned it. I dont want to go through the trouble of replacing things that are going to cost about half as much, if i do the install, as the same motor with 30k, and not guarantee a fix. I am now driving mostly city and getting 30-31mpg the most I have gotten was about 42 highway.

Swapping a d15z1 into a crx is a different story than just replacing the motor in a VX. I know there are small changes between the JDM and USDM versions but dont know which I should keep from either motor to boost FE. I know the alternator bracket is lighter on the USDM motor and the throttle body on the JDM motor is bigger. It seems like not many people have actually replaced their Z1 with a JDM equivalent so it looks like i am gonna have to test for myself.
XxDrUnKnMuNkxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

On a recent post I stated how indecision may or may not be my problem. Just to make your life a little more difficult (misery loves company) remember the D15Z1 was also available in the European market Civic, badged the VEi. I'm yet to understand the JDM draw, shipping a lunk of metal half way around the world needlessly seems counter to one's economic interest (not to mention environmental concerns.)
Old 01-27-2010, 06:53 AM   #6
Registered Member

In the past when I swapped out V8 motors in fuel injected trucks, I would clean the old engine bay out with a pressure sprayer.

Start the engine to make sure I did not fry something...

Then label all the cables / wires with masking tape and a Sharpie to identify where they all went. Once complete take three or four high-resolution digital pictures of your labeling job in the engine bay.

Now remove the "long block" with all the cables in the car if possible!

Reassemble the "long block" in your garage (ideally next to the new engine) so you can have a quick reference point when putting the new block in.

Finally, just put the new block in and try to make the labels match the part. I always had a bear of a time with fuel injected V8 engines because even in the same model year, the wiring would be different or cables to short.

rgathright is offline   Reply With Quote