Just failed emissions twice - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2006, 02:25 PM   #31
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95metro
Was I right? Did NAPA stock 'em?
Yep... Napa is by far my favorite store for parts like these.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #32
Registered Member

Woohoo! Now I can rest easy knowing that I didn't steer you wrong.

I always forget about NAPA since they're in an odd location in town. Besides, I have this nice little private outlet I frequent that could practically build me a brand new Metro from scratch if they had a body and frame.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #33
Registered Member

So here are the specifics:

Emmision COntrols Visual/Functional Inspection:
EGR System: Pass
PCV System: Pass
Fuel Inlet Restrictor : Pass
Catalytic Converter: Pass
Evaporative Control System: Pass
Gazs Cap Integrity: Pass

Tailpipe Emmissions Inspection:
740 RPM, CO Reading 0.07, Limit 1.20, PASS
2381 RPM, CO Reading 0.11, Limit 1.20, PASS
740 RPM, HC Reading 239, Limit 220, FAIL
2381 RPM, HC Reading 116, Limit 110, PASS

So I failed because Im about 10% over on the HC only at idle. The report also notes that I failed emmissions inspection because of the high HC and because the gas cap is bad.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #34
Registered Member

Did you replace the cap and then try it again? "Wodering how the gas cap can lead to high HC." Replacing the gas cap alone might pass it. It allows it to vent the fumes in the gas tank if they build up to predetermined levels. Until the fumes reach these levels, they are shunted through the charcoal canister.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:23 PM   #35
Registered Member

I just had a look at my plugs again. Previously I was just looking at the electrode but now that I look again, something is amiss. When looking at the insulator, I see that on side is white and the other side is soot black. That is two of them. On the third, about 3/4 was white and 1/4 black. On the last plug slightly tan with a small dark area, but no real soot. Any ideas what would cause this?

Old 07-10-2006, 07:43 PM   #36
Registered Member

NOx is only produced when the combustion chamber is about 2500 degrees F (about there)... Your engine overheating could be the sole reason for it not passing. The reason they use EGR to reduce NOx is because it helps slow the combustion process, which lowers peak cylinder temps. Also, retard you engine the maxium amount allowed, this should help to reduce NOx as well.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #37
Driving on E

Man... I thought there wasn't any room under the hood of my 89 Civic... the 87 CRX actually has LESS room to work than my n600.

I removed the battery, which I'm sure hasn't been done in 10+ years based on the amount of corrosion around the terminals. I had to spray the battery with PB Blaster to get the terminals off.

Then I tried like hell to get the o2 sensor off. No luck. In case you don't know, the stock o2 sensors are practically welded on. I wrestled with it for about 1 1/2 hours before giving up. I had to get the car back together before the sun went down otherwise I'd be screwed (bad night vision... need more carrots).

Got the car back together and it won't start. Turns out the old terminals needed replacement. I went to autozone and got new terminals, and I also got a different o2 sensor socket so I can try again tomorrow.

Got back, put the terminals on, refilled the coolant overflow tank with coolant (it was empty, good call Gary) and I let the car idle until it reached operating temperature. After 15 minutes of idling and after I started pushing on the gas for it to finally get hot enough, the termostat opened, the radiator fan turned on, and the coolant started flowing. Sadly, the PB Blaster I sprayed on the o2 sensor went all over the exhaust manifold, causing some smoke when the exhaust manifold got hot enough to burn it off. Hope that doesn't last long.

I will be the victor with this o2 sensor from hell. if I can't get it off soon I'll pull the exhaust manifold on Saturday and get it off that way.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:56 AM   #38
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
I just had a look at my plugs again. Previously I was just looking at the electrode but now that I look again, something is amiss. When looking at the insulator, I see that on side is white and the other side is soot black. That is two of them. On the third, about 3/4 was white and 1/4 black. On the last plug slightly tan with a small dark area, but no real soot. Any ideas what would cause this?
Any ideas on my plugs? Is this a mechanical problem with the engine? From looking at the electrodes it seems that the combustion is good on one side of the chamber (white side of insulator) and bad on the other (black side of the insulator).

Old 07-11-2006, 03:53 AM   #39
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
The clean side is getting washed off by intake charge gas and air - the reason you index the plugs by facing the gap towards the intake to clean them more evenly. A loose seal on the gas cap will vent extra fumes to the engine at idle richen the mixture and raise hc emissions and carbon up the plugs.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:55 AM   #40
Registered Member

Sounds like I need a new gas cap.