Lifespan / Usage of Used Tyres - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-24-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Lifespan / Usage of Used Tyres

I have read many threads of similar claims to the effect of "90% thread life left" - very specific numbers cited ......

How do sellers actually measure the actual thread life left, or how much it was used?

lownslow95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:57 PM   #2
Registered Member

Welcome. Measure the tread depth. You know the depth of tread a tyre has to start with (manufacturer can give this figure). If you start with 10mm and 9mm is left then that is 90%.
Here in the UK the minimum legal tread depth is 1.6mm, but I change my tyres at 3mm, which is generally considered to be the minimum required to shift water from a wet road (it is the UK!). Tread depth is measured across the entire width and circumference and no point is permissible to be less than 1.6mm.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:35 AM   #3
Registered Member

Most "experts" recommend that you replace your spare tyre after 5 years, so I hope that helps. I don't trust the people that say, "It's 20-years-old, but I never used it, so it's like-NEW!" I've seen too many "never-used" spares lose the air as soon as you let the jack down and start driving...
DonKook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

My spare is 13 years old and has never been out the boot. I contacted the manufacturer and was told that provided it had been stored out of sunlight, and was not showing signs of cracking, it would be okay. That will do for me
Old 03-31-2019, 12:43 PM   #5
Registered Member

I think as the boot a being like an oven, so even though tit is dark, the heat will still destroy the tyre. St least the foam padding under the carpet does. It melted!

Would you rather know the tyre really is new, or hope that it will still hold air after 13cyears? St least the manufacturer(or salesman) didn't try to sell you a lot of tyres.
DonKook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:49 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonKook View Post
I think as the boot a being like an oven
Not in Scotland. If the temperature here gets up to 65°F it is a scorching hot summers day. Most of the time I could leave ice cream in the car and it wouldn't melt! Current temperature is a balmy 40°F.
Yes, the engineer that contacted me was not out to sell me a tyre.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:24 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
My spare is 13 years old and has never been out the boot. I contacted the manufacturer and was told that provided it had been stored out of sunlight, and was not showing signs of cracking, it would be okay. That will do for me
There might be deterioration on the inside of the tire. UV light isn't the only agent aging the rubber. I've heard that spare tires should be changed at 10 years.

That said, I've never replaced a spare tire, and our Sable was 16 years old when replaced. I do have a plug kit and compressor in the trunk, however.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote