locking fuel door - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

locking fuel door

My 2005 Toyota Tacoma does not have a locking fuel door or cap. Aftermarket locking gas caps cause the "check engine " light to come on. Are there any fuel door locks available? I know at one time Tacomas had a locking fuel door.

tshadow6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshadow6 View Post
My 2005 Toyota Tacoma does not have a locking fuel door or cap. Aftermarket locking gas caps cause the "check engine " light to come on. Are there any fuel door locks available? I know at one time Tacomas had a locking fuel door.
Check with your dealer and see if their parts department can order you a locking gas cap... It might be an OEM accessory that they can order for you.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Check with your dealer and see if their parts department can order you a locking gas cap... It might be an OEM accessory that they can order for you.

-Jay
my first thought
COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The locking door on my dad's '02 Tundra doesn't look any different than a small lock that can be bought at Home Depot. Perhaps you could rig one of those in? It wouldn't have to be extremely secure, just enough for someone looking at it to decide to steal from the next vehicle.

Do you have a lot of gas stolen?
Old 06-19-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
Registered Member

Maybe you could use a lock like is used on a tool box or gun cabinet. Beware though in some parts of the country people are starting to drill holes in gas tanks using electric drills. Doesn't sound like a healthy occupation. Just one spark and .....
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
Maybe you could use a lock like is used on a tool box or gun cabinet. Beware though in some parts of the country people are starting to drill holes in gas tanks using electric drills. Doesn't sound like a healthy occupation. Just one spark and .....
a ice pick has worked for years,,,you ain't going to stop everything
COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:08 PM   #7
Registered Member

yea, these lockin fuel doors can be pried open with a screwdriver... lockign caps are good but like previous posts have said today its quicker to drill a hole or icepic it...

todays tanks and necks make it really hard to siphon anything.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:24 AM   #8
Registered Member

My locking gas cap.

Since gas broke 4 dollars, 5 of my neighbors have had 5 to 15 gallons sucked out of their tanks, the worst being my neighbors BMW. They used a claw hammer to pop the gas door, denting the quater panel and beercanning the gas door.

My local parts place was sold out of locking gas caps, so on a trip to Phillie, I stopped at Strauss Discount Auto (straussauto.com) and for $18 I bought a Motorad locking gas cap. It locks and the caps spins around, unlocked you can crank down on the cap. 5 tank fulls of the gas and no lights have been thrown.
GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:32 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
Around here they tap a hole directly into the gas tank.

You can have a magnet switch put on the fuel door for your car alarm. Also get a tilt switch. If enough fuel is removed it will tilt the car more than the necessary 1 degree to set off the alarm. Gas weighs approx 8 lbs per gallon.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:38 PM   #10
Registered Member

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but someone attempte to steal the gas out of my beater Honda sometime last night. I found the gas door ajar and the cap missing. Of course I found this after all the parts stores have closed, so I had to park it in the driveway with the lights on it tonight. All the cars get locking caps tomorrow!

spazzer is offline   Reply With Quote