locking gas cap? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-28-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

locking gas cap?

just saw the news and gas theft has been going up. they advised that getting the caps would be a good idea, but are those reliable? what if someone pryed it?

also what happens if you loose the key?

civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Registered Member

people do lose the key, and sometimes the locking cap fails and will only spin. working as a mechanic, i've been brought these problems. first one took me 10minutes to get off, after a couple i spend as much time gathering a few tools as it takes to remove the caps.

but if someone was going to steal fuel, i think they would skip any vehicle equiped with a locking cap

Old 04-28-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
Supporting Member

In Europe where gas prices have been higher for like forever pretty much any car built in 1985 and younger has a locking gas cap.
I was very surprised when we got my stepdad's in law 2003 Buick, that it did not have a lcoking gas cap and that you can just open the gas door. And this with a car that holds 20 gallons of gas making it worth the effort to suck up a littel gas before you have it going
McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I don't thin this would help much on my car, as they have to get in the car to pop open the fuel door, and if they can do that then they might notice the keys sitting on the dash.
The last time I heard about fuel being stolen it was from a hole being drilled in the gas tank, or the drain plug being unscrewed, and this being done on large trucks as you can hide under them with your gas cans.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
Registered Member

ya locking gas caps worked in the 70's because noone had cordless drills

NOW thanks to walmart and harbour freight you can buy a cordless drill for $10 and start drillin holes in tanks all you want...

the key is to have your car low enough/park it next to stuff where they cant get to the tank...

also now a days they have screens and stuff to prevent siphon tubes from reaching the tank, they get stuck in the filler neck.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I don't thin this would help much on my car, as they have to get in the car to pop open the fuel door, and if they can do that then they might notice the keys sitting on the dash.
The last time I heard about fuel being stolen it was from a hole being drilled in the gas tank, or the drain plug being unscrewed, and this being done on large trucks as you can hide under them with your gas cans.
nah those gas door locks can easily be popped open in 2 seconds with a screwdriver or just find the cable underneath the car and pull it lol
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
Registered Member

Had a neighbor who liked to siphon gas outta my old Austin Healy. One day i hooked the filler neck directly into a gas can full of ummmmm.... yeller bodily fluids....
Old 04-29-2008, 05:23 AM   #8

Siphoning? Wow ! 70's flashback, and I havent touched that kind of stuff in years

whats next? long lines? alternate days?

probably not, that was a (supposed)shortage
BBsGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:11 AM   #9
Registered Member

A lot of tanks today also come with drain plugs which weren't standard in old cars as much. Another easy way to steal gas. Thankfully my car is low enough that they could never get to the tank.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:03 AM   #10
Registered Member

Personally I'd rather have my gas siphoned through the cap than my tank drilled or stabbed. Unless it's a returning thief... in which case I might boobytrap it with kerosene and hope he blows a piston.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote