low gas indicator in VX - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
I put in 11.1 gallons with NO TOPPING OFF. The gas nozzle clicked at 11.1 gallons. I have a VX and therefor the 10 gallon tank. Anyone care to explain that one? I then topped off after it clicked to about 11.3 gallons.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
I put in 11.1 gallons with NO TOPPING OFF. The gas nozzle clicked at 11.1 gallons. I have a VX and therefor the 10 gallon tank. Anyone care to explain that one? I then topped off after it clicked to about 11.3 gallons.
I'm not sure what's going on here.
The following are possible:

1. Previous owner swap out gas tank
2. The station where you're at has an inaccurate metering system on their pump which is way in their favor.
3. I've been told the '92 have the 10.9 gallon tank. If this is the case, then I can see you getting 11.3 (filler neck has volume too), but I can't see you
getting that much in a 10.0 gallon tank. The filler neck cannot hold a gallon -
I don't think...

When you filled up at 11.3 gallons, how much mileage did you go on that tank?

If you got the 10.9 gallon tank, I think my next mod is to change out the tank as I've been wanting a bigger tank so I can get around 500-600 miles
per tank.
Gary

garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:13 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
I have a 1993, not a 1992. Umm.. before this happened, I tested the gas station against the one across the street. (Of course, they may both me in cahoots!) They were the same. I tested because it wasn't the first time I was surprised by how many gallons I fit in the gas tank based on where the gauge had been. I've put 10.1 as well. I had gone a measly 444 miles on the 11 gal fill. But if you read the gas log you will see how it was not very efficient driving.

Also, with this 11.3 gallon fill, the gauge was at 1/4 125 miles prior to filling! Which means I used a helluva lot of gas the last 125 miles... or my gas gauge is way unreliable... or my gas tank is bigger than 10.0 gallons. TomO says once the gauge hits E he has 2 gallons left. So it all has me very confused! If you read my gas tank thread it has more details on that 11.3 gal fill up, especially the last 125 miles.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:33 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
I have a 1993, not a 1992. Umm.. before this happened, I tested the gas station against the one across the street. (Of course, they may both me in cahoots!) They were the same. I tested because it wasn't the first time I was surprised by how many gallons I fit in the gas tank based on where the gauge had been. I've put 10.1 as well. I had gone a measly 444 miles on the 11 gal fill. But if you read the gas log you will see how it was not very efficient driving.

Also, with this 11.3 gallon fill, the gauge was at 1/4 125 miles prior to filling! Which means I used a helluva lot of gas the last 125 miles... or my gas gauge is way unreliable... or my gas tank is bigger than 10.0 gallons. TomO says once the gauge hits E he has 2 gallons left. So it all has me very confused! If you read my gas tank thread it has more details on that 11.3 gal fill up, especially the last 125 miles.

Hmm.. it does sound like you have a tank bigger than the stock 10.0.
Since you got 11.3 gallons in there, I think you got the 11.9 tank from
the other civics (DX, LX, etc). Perhaps the prev owner put it in.

That gives me another idea which I've been pondering since my first post here about getting a bigger thank for this car which is what I've been thinking about for years... After my hopefully successful CA to FED vx conversion, I plan on picking up a 11.9 gallon tank from the junkyard for $50.
Yes, the extra gas is extra weight, but it's not going to considerably affect my mileage. That's an extra 16 lbs plus the extra weight of the tank which I can live with to get the extra 100 miles of range.

In fact, I'm going to post a WTB: Civic gas tank on craigslist now.
Gary

garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote