low gas indicator in VX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-02-2007, 09:26 AM   #1
Supporting Member

low gas indicator in VX

I drove home yesterday from Michigan and was hoping to be able to make it to my gas station around the corner. Figured I could keep on driving untill the light came on and still do like 50 miles after that.
I had been driving with the needle underneath the E sign for like 50 miles and with the trip odometer on 512 miles I just didin't dare drive any further so I stopped and got gas. I managed to get 9.775 gallons in there, so with a 10 gallon tank I was lucky I didn't drive that last 20 miles I guess. So now my question to other VX owners: is there no light on a VX that should come on when you're low on gas? Or is mine just 'kaput'?

McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
Registered Member

Check your owners manual. Your tank holds more than 10 Gallons.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

No there isn't no light, you have to check when you are near to the redline. The problem when you are running low in gas, is that you might not be able to restart the car if you stop the engine.
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
Registered Member

I just looked it up on Edmunds.com and it looks like you have an 11.9 gallon tank.

I almost ran out of gas today myself. Simply forgot to fill up till the engine started sputtering. I was on the highway and immediately went into FE mode by shutting off everything I could and coasting, and made it a few more miles to a gas station. I filled up 11.337 gallons out of 11.9. Considering you can't suck the tank completely dry (and I'm getting only 25mpg), I was probably seconds away from being stranded.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland2D View Post
I just looked it up on Edmunds.com and it looks like you have an 11.9 gallon tank.
I think this issue of an 11.9 gallon tank for one or two of the VX model years has been discussed on a different thread in the last 4 months, and I believe it was determined that Edmunds has a typo. I'm 99% certain all VX model years (and CX for that matter) were 10 gal tanks. Only the DX and Si (?) were 11.9 gals. Remember, the VX was made to be lightweight everywhere: no sound dampening spray inside the rear quarters, lightweight alloy wheels, smaller tires, no rear wiper, no door bumper guards (probably for aerodynamics too), and other things I can't recall.

McPatrick, after the pump stops, you can squeeze in another 5 gallons if you're patient enough and have the right technique to make the pump trickle in the gas. I used to do it all the time w/ my '95 VX, and I've also managed to do +2 gallons w/ my '95 DX. Something screwy w/ these model year Hondas.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #6
Registered Member

OK, I'm home now, & my owners manual for a 94 VX shows 10.0 US Gallons for a VX. My memory isn't what it used to be.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Just a confirmation from my end...94 VX 10.0 US gallons, 8.4 Imp gal, 38 litres. And no low gas indicator lamp. Both the 94 and the 95 Owners Manual states this info. Hope that helps.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I've put more then 10 gallons in my vx gas tank more then once, and 9.9+ gallons a number of times as well, thus I tend to avoid those gas stations that alow me to do this.
It would be a really good idea to read your owners manual as soon as possible as it sounds like you don't have a full understanding of what it has, and what it can do.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:28 AM   #9
Supporting Member

Thanks for all the replies. The VX I bought didn't come with the owners manual and since everything seemed pretty selfexplanatory I haven't bought one yet. Might be a good idea though
McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:24 PM   #10
Registered Member

More than 10 gallons of gas?

If you guys are getting way more than 10 gallons in there, you guys should sotp forcing gas into your tanks cuz it's going back into the station's tank as overflow and guess who's paying for it? Yup, that'll be you and it'll bring your overall FE down if you factor that lost gasoline .

garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote