MAF WAI question, any tricks to bypass, reuse etc? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
Site Team / Moderator

I know that Virginia never checked the computer on my Buick, aside from making sure the light came on & off as it should. Being a 1st generation computer (The old GM C-4 Computer system) they had no standardized means to pull codes out of the computer.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #12
Registered Member

they also check for the check engine light to come on when the car is turned on and then goes off. they then plug in (via obd-2) and make sure it is in the ready state so if there is anything strange, they can see it.

I think they also check to make sure certain equipment is present (that is on the older vehicles)

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:18 AM   #13
Banned

stop driving the car now until you have the maf working correctly in your new system

unless you want to buy a new engine, so many people with the aftermarket filters wind up with screwed engines
spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I think they also check to make sure certain equipment is present (that is on the older vehicles)
Here in NC anything prior to '96 has to pass safety inspection and a visual emmisions inspection, meaning if all the emmisions components are on the car and hooked up it passes whether they are working properly or not.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #15
Registered Member

yea, you're right. all my stuff is newer than '96 so I always forget about the details of that...and I didn't realize that he is talking about a '95 so it wouldn't matter anyway.

another thing about good ole' NC, if it is over 35 yrs old there is no inspection required. friend of mine drives a 1965 ford pickup for that very reason. very little of the truck is still 1965 stuff. he also doesn't like wearing a seatbelt and the truck didn't come with them. the seatbelt has a loophole that if it didn't originally come with seatbelts, you aren't required to add them.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #16
Registered Member

Filled up the tank yesterday, mainly out of curiosity. I don't typically get past 250 miles on a tank. 266 was on the odometer (which is inaccurate because the tires are oversize - boo.) Averaged 21mpg on this tank, with the last 60 miles being with the new intake and unplugged MAF. And one front tire down to 15psi. Tire shopping may be in order.

I'll top off in another couple days when I've used enough gas to measure accurately, but it doesn't seem to use any more, and honestly seems to run better. I typically cruise at 60mph which is really about 64, and my TPS is usually set at 32. Now it reads 29 at the same cruise speed. Which tells me I AM using less gas.

BTW, there are all kinds of codes now. Nine, actually. But I started with six.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #17
Registered Member

A funny thing happened on the way to work this morning. I heard on the radio that gas prices would bump again so I decided to top off, right at 100 miles for this tank so far. With my previous avg I should have used 5 gallons by now. Especially after the extended idle this morning while getting distracted between starting the truck and tying up the dog. But only 4.3 gallons went in. Same pump, usual protocol. Unplugging the MAF seems to have upped my mileage by a few. (An indicated 23+mpg, but real number of 25+)

This also supports the fears of running too lean, so I looked over the situation this evening and realized I could just clamp the new open filter to the intake end of the MAF body. Derrrr... Now I have an open filter inside the engine bay where it will warm up quicker, AND the MAF is intact and working as it should.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:51 AM   #18
Banned

see I called it, running lean(breaks engine eventually when you get a bad detonation, possibly on the wrong/right car), I tried visualizing air composition and calcuated accordingly.

maybe you could super heat the air and install a second cooling fan to compensate that you control with a switch, also you could try a fuel heater, but unless you have experience with fuel systems I woulnd't recommend it.

also have fun replacing that "open air filter" a little more often, im sure the gasoline paybacks will be worth it also try sealing the front of your truck with seal and peal(removable caulk, home depot) near the area where the wai is, to keep more of the hot air in, you could also do a warmer thermostat, but unless you know which one you currently have in, then you might be wasting time..

Grill block ect

ps fine the new tires cheap on craigslist?
I prefer used rear tires(way cheaper c-list or used tires stores) and new fronts(steering and fwd anyhow).. you can get a 600$ set of tires for 400 this way if you can find good matches..

spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote