Matt's n600 rebuild project log - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2006, 12:33 AM   #41
Driving on E

Some progress tonight.

Some progress tonight.

The other day I received the upholstery for the seats, which I wrote about earlier. I successfully put one seat on, but I noticed a few problems and decided to do it again.

The first picture is of the new "webbing" I created. in the past the seat foam was held on by plastic webbing of sorts with hooks. Over the last 30+ years the plastic slowly broke and was no longer usable. The previous owner (one of them, at least) put a piece of plywood under the foam to hold the seat in.

I decided to get an old seat belt and a gromit kit to fix this problem myself. I used the existing hooks to string this up. The seat is laying on it's back in this picture to illustrate the new webbing.

My wife accurately described my webbing as "overkill." She's right, but I've always been known to go a little overboard with stuff like this. You can also see in this picture that a portion of the foam on the back of this seat has been replaced. I used the foam pad on the other seat (see previous page) that someone duct taped to it.

The next picture is of the hog rings and the hog ring pliers. I think DaX wanted to see a picture of these. It was amazing how easy it was to put these on. Just put one of the hogrings in the pliers like in the picture, and then just close the pliers around the item. Tomorrow I'll get pictures of the hog rings in their place.

And of course, the finished seat:

If I have time tomorrow I will do the drivers seat and MAYBE the rear bench.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:19 AM   #42
Registered Member

Re: Some progress tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion

And of course, the finished seat:

If I have time tomorrow I will do the drivers seat and MAYBE the rear bench.
Wow Matt! That looks like a professional job! Good luck on the other seats.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:42 AM   #43

It looks excellent. You

It looks excellent. You should be very proud of the job. I like the inventiveness of the seatbelt for suspension webbing. Thanks for posting pictures of the hog ring pliers...now I understand how they work.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:41 AM   #44
Driving on E

Re: It looks excellent. You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
It looks excellent. You should be very proud of the job. I like the inventiveness of the seatbelt for suspension webbing. Thanks for posting pictures of the hog ring pliers...now I understand how they work.
Just finished the drivers seat last night. the suspension webbing was also shot on that one, but this time I used one of those "tie downs" used to keep stuff on a trailer or the bed of a truck. I'll post pictures of the two seats later.

I've hurt myself so much reupholstering these seats. 4 bleeding cuts and a sore elbow. I literally was an inch away from poking my eye out with needle nose pliers the other night.

I totally understand why people charge a few hundred dollars to install these things.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:14 PM   #45
Registered Member

Matt, I'm starting a

Matt,

I'm starting a restoration/customization on a '71 n600 could you send me some contact info on where you got the upholstery and anything else for that matter.

I know about www.the600shop.com . I think we'll order a rebuild kit from them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Kendrick
diesel_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:17 PM   #46
Driving on E

Email me at

Email me at matt@gassavers.org and I'll be happy to put you in touch with some people.

You can get a carpet set, upholstery for the seats, as well as lots of used goodies from various people. Parts are actually very affordable right now.

Which rebuild kit are you going to get from www.honda600shop.com? They offer engine rebuild kits and a few others as well. If you're looking to get your engine rebuilt for you, I know of a guy in california who can do it for a good price.

Anyway, email me and I'll let you know.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:55 PM   #47
Driving on E

Carpet arrived

The carpet arrived today, which means I'll be able to install it sometime tomorrow if I'm lucky. I also finished upholstering the back seats today, which means I should be able to have the carpet AND the seats in by tomorrow afternoon.

I'm excited
Old 02-22-2006, 07:05 PM   #48
Driving on E

Carpet and seats are in.

Carpet and seats are in. I'll be taking pictures tomorrow, as soon as I lick my wounds.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:52 PM   #49
Driving on E

Called Salt Lake Chrome

Called Salt Lake Chrome again today. The bumper was supposed to be done on Tuesday, and they're telling me that it will be done on Monday.

I guess that patience really is a virtue when restoring a car. I'm going to adjust my carpet today so that it's pretty, so look for a few pictures later this afternoon or tonight.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:41 PM   #50
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
Polaris makes an ATV (4

Polaris makes an ATV (4 wheeler) called The Sportsman 700 Twin EFI, that sounds like it might be about as close to cheap fuel injection that you will be able to find for an engine that size.
any idea on the estamated gas mileage you are going to be able to get? I should have a honda 600 at some point this year, the friend that I'm getting it from had some health problems and stoped returning phone calls for 6+ months.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote