one of the funniest honda 600 stories that came off the EVDL was...
In the summer of 1972, I had a part time job as a gas jockey. One of my regular customers drove a big old Oldsmobile. He was a huge fellow, easily 6' 6" and probably close to 300 lb. One day he rolled up in his new car - a Honda 600! Watching this big guy unfold himself from that car (and then refold himself to fit) was a treat.
He swore that once he'd put the car on ;-) it was quite comfortable.
the EV list has been chattering about this car all week - suitability for conversion, etc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ev-list-archive/ if you're interested (use the search thing)
IT weighs 1212lbs. This is the reason I wanted to convert it to electric a while ago.
You'll run into some obstacles though. The transmission is part of the engine, so there is no way to mount the transmission to the new electric motor. The way Tom Rapini got around this was by taking the cylinder head off of the engine and running a chain to the crankshaft and powering the motor that way.
I'd much rather find a different transmission and make custom axles than go through all of that work.
the biggest challenge is fitting all the lead in there if you want both range and to preserve the back seats!
If you want to preserve the back seats it's next to impossible.
Honestly though, a full grown adult cannot fit in the back seats of this car. I tried to fit myself in it yesterday and I just started laughing. It's SO SMALL.
If this car ever goes electric the back seats are coming out.
You also will have ot upgrade the rear shocks to account for the extra weight of the car.
I personally think it's probably better to get a much more modern car for an EV conversion. Parts for the n600 are becoming more and more difficult to find. Parts for a Geo Metro, however, can be found at any junkyard.
Just spent a few hours trying to get the fuel sending unit to work, and it does
Here is how it looked last night:
On the right side of the picture you can see two connections. One is a tab and one is a circular looking thing. The circular thingis supposed to have a wire coming out of it, but someone cut it at the source.
I ended up soldering a big glob of solder on it and then connecting a wire. Much to my amazement, it works.
All I have left to do is replace the exhaust and then put the gastank and rear bumper back on and this thing should be ready to be inspected for safety in order to be allowed for registration.