More VX woes.. this time stalling, lunging on acceleration and tach needle went crazy - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2007, 05:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

More VX woes.. this time stalling, lunging on acceleration and tach needle went crazy

ugh, more problems.. hopefully someone can shed some light... here goes..

I have a 92 honda civic vx, when im accellerating sometimes my tach will drop to zero quickly and the car will lose power but then jump right back up to where i was and it will lunge at that point.. its like the car loses power for just a split second. its really annoying and i don't know what to check

and now my car has completely shut off when slowing down twice. ill be coming down the mountain doing about 25 and it cut off once, where i had to pop the clutch just to get the car to start back up so my brakes would work right, and the other time was coasting into a stop sign, the car just shut off quietly and all the red lights on the dash came on but the radio and everythign stayed on, i tried just turning the ignition over at the stop sign, but the first time i cranked it, it started up but the second i hit the gas, it cut off. so i waited a minute and started it up again and it stayed running and allowed me to keep driving

for the last couple of weeks, before these above things started happening, the tach(its the factory tach) has been going nuts on me.. ill be driving along at about 2000 rpm then all the sudden the needle will start jumping around like a mad man and will eventually settle back into 2000rpm for a while, then start jumping around all over again. i don't know if this has anythign to do with it or if its just maybe the tach is going out.. but i figured i'd throw that out there

anyone have any ideas on wtf is going on?

thanks

nick

GasSavers_NickF829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:30 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Sounds like a "development" of the previous problem you posted about in this link: possible vx problem..

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:19 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regarding the tach, it sounds to me like you have some bad grounds in your engine bay, or your distributer is going bad. The factory tach gets its signal from the distributer, and when something goes bad or is going bad inside of it, it generally does that sort of thing to the tach. Check to make sure all your connections at the distributer are clean and tight and that there are no melted wires near it.

The stalling issue is something I had to deal with too when I first bought my car. I did a full tune-up on it, and nothing seemed to fix it. I would try TB cleaner to fix it.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:30 AM   #4
Registered Member

Two things I'm aware of that will cause a bouncing/chaotic tach - a car that's running on a battery that's very nearly dead (only happens when the alternator dies) and a failing ignitor unit in the distributor. I'm basing my experience on CRXs, but the '92-95 Civic design is nearly identical.
The failing ignitor unit would explain the loss of power as well. The ignitor basicly does the grunt work of switching power on and off to the ignition coil. If it stops switching, the ignition system stops firing... No spark, no power.
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

how do i check the distributor? i replaced the cap/rotor when i tuned it up in december
Old 09-22-2007, 07:57 AM   #6
Registered Member

The ignitor unit can be replaced separately from the rest of the distributor... It just unplugs and unscrews from the housing. Take the cap and rotor off, and look toward the bottom of the distributor housing. You should see the top of it sticking out with 4 wires connected to it.
The only testing that the FSM provides is an input test. That is, you check that all the wires connected to the ignitor unit are doing what they're supposed to. If everything checks out, you replace the ignitor unit.

Make a note of which wires go where and disconnect all four ignitor unit wires.
Blk/Yel wire: Ignition switched power - Should have battery voltage when the ignition is switched on.
Wht/Blu wire: Ignition coil negative terminal - Should have battery voltage when the ignition is switched on. Don't use a test light on this one, only a multimeter.
Yel/Grn wire: ECU ignition signal - Runs between the ignitor unit and ECU pins A21 and A22 (wires will be red/grn at the ECU).
Blu wire: Tach signal - runs between the ignitor unit and gauge cluster.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I'm going with Bobski on the ignitor...it has always been the cause for a neurotic tachometer and sporadic power loss. Always done the trick for me and it pretty easy to replace. the worst part is getting the two screws loose that hold it in.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
Registered Member

my town only has an autozone and they don't know what i'm talking about.. is there another name for it?
Old 09-22-2007, 08:48 AM   #9
Registered Member

This article from Team-Integra.net tells you how to toubleshoot a distributer. It's written for an Integra, but they should be pretty similar. As stated earlier, the tach signal comes from the ignitor, and while it's possible to have an erratic tach signal and still have the car run OK, considering your symptoms, I'd say there's something wrong with your ignition.

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...ArticleID=1112
mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:49 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickF829 View Post
my town only has an autozone and they don't know what i'm talking about.. is there another name for it?
Looking through the autozone website, they have it listed under "Control Module-Ignition" for $65 and $98.
If you're willing to wait for it, you can get a brand new OE part from Majestic Honda for $73.05 + S&H. They claim the list price (what you would pay if you went to your local dealer) is about $104.37... Just so you know if you're getting ripped off.