Mounting/dismounting tires at home? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Question Mounting/dismounting tires at home?

I've got some tires I'd like to try (taller tires to raise my gearing) and for the purposes of my experiment I'd like not to pay $12 each to mount/balance them.

There are various instructions online for mounting tires. Can anyone suggest a particularly good one?

What about dismounting? I didn't find any instructions with a small amount of googling, and I guess I'm feeling a little lazy. I don't want to destroy the existing tires or mess up the plain steel wheels trying to crowbar the tires off.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Registered Member

Could you post the how-to links? I bought a spare set of rims to address this issue for my winter vs summer tires, but that's useless to you.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Text:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4693820_mount-car-tires.html

Video:
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...-a-rim-259708/
(I haven't watched the video yet.)

Google provides pretty well when asked.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
Registered Member

Using starter fluid to seal the bead is pretty nifty. Saw a PBS program about these guys salvaging a downed WWII bomber and they did that with huge tires. Braver than I am (but that says little).

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

I'll do almost any and every repair at home... but for the low cost of having someone with a tire machine do tires vs. fighting with them at home, that's one thing I hire out.

Sometimes I won't pay for balancing though. I've had good luck putting the wheel in question on the back of my fwd (free spinning), jacking it up, give it several whirls, and mark the 6 o'clock spot every time. If the marks pretty much line up, there's your heavy spot, throw a weight on opposite that. When the marks look pretty much random, that's when I call it good.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
Registered Member

Well, I've got crappy tires that I want to experiment with and then replace once I have results. I've also got no money. I figure I struggle and mount them, then just pay to get them balanced.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
Registered Member

bass-ackwards!

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

Old 05-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #8
Registered Member

That's how I roll!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #9
Registered Member

hey its really your call. for myself, I wouldnt do it, just for a fact that the tries are the only thing thats keeping the car on the ground going 60mph+. its more of a safety thing.

i understand that at 12 bucks a pop, for 4 tires and taxes will cost about 50 bucks in labor total, but I would much rather be a little safe. I pretty much done every car problem by myself, except for tires
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #10
Registered Member

I just looked at the ehow and... I don't think so.

Using OIL to lube the bead?!? Rubber doesn't like oil.

Plus he's starting with a bare wheel and tire- try breaking the bead at home without getting violent. Yeah you could drive over a tire lying on the ground with something else, but I'd only do that if I was junking that tire.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17