My engine is slowly giving up the ghost. - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2006, 01:32 AM   #21
Registered Member

I still can't find my PCV

I still can't find my PCV valve. My book tells me where it is but I can't find it.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:32 AM   #22
Registered Member

I still can't find my PCV

I still can't find my PCV valve. My book tells me where it is but I can't find it.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:50 AM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
On your 2.4L your PCV will look....

...like this :<BR>

Hope that helps?

If you showed me a picture of all the lines off your intake and your valve cover I bet I could locate it.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:32 AM   #24
Registered Member

That doesn't exactly help

That doesn't exactly help since it's screwed in into the breather/separator.

Anyway I found it. I had the Hayne's manual and it was for the 1993-2001 altima. The problem was that Nissan updated the breather/separator so the breather/separator looks completly different on my car. But I found a pic of the head off and the PCV attached to it. So I looked at the same parts in the back of my car and found it hidden by a couple of parts. I think that Hayne's should updated their manual a lot more than just putting codes from the 1998+ altima.

It will be a pita to replace, I heard that it could take an afternoon. Maybe my mpg will go up a little since I replaced all the stuff except the PCV valve.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:18 PM   #25
Driving on E

Re: Don't forget the FITV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Don't forget the FITV!
You may be right...

The car runs, but after it warmed up today I noticed a surging idle problem. Since it happened after the car was warm it probably isn't the FITV (Fast Idle Thermo Valve), but is the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve). It's also possible that it's just a vacuum leak.

I'll try to diagnose it later tonight.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Don't forget the FITV!
You may be right...

The car runs, but after it warmed up today I noticed a surging idle problem. Since it happened after the car was warm it probably isn't the FITV (Fast Idle Thermo Valve), but is the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve). It's also possible that it's just a vacuum leak.

I'll try to diagnose it later tonight.
I had horrible surging idle in my car a few months ago [this is on a DPFI]. It was so bad, I hated having to stop at the top of my street in the morning because the kids at the bus stop would laugh at me. Turns out it was a small vacuum hose that was pinched - the one that controls the throttle plate dashpot.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:53 AM   #27
Registered Member

Off Topic -- Damn kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
I had horrible surging idle in my car a few months ago [this is on a DPFI]. It was so bad, I hated having to stop at the top of my street in the morning because the kids at the bus stop would laugh at me. Turns out it was a small vacuum hose that was pinched - the one that controls the throttle plate dashpot.
Damn kids! No respect for the elders. Sorry, but my wife's a high school teacher, and this year the students are downright disrespectful. OK, I'm done ranting...

RH77
Old 02-10-2006, 07:29 AM   #28

Re: Off Topic -- Damn kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Damn kids! No respect for the elders. Sorry, but my wife's a high school teacher, and this year the students are downright disrespectful. OK, I'm done ranting...

RH77
What grade level / subject? I have immense respect for teachers - I would never want that job.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:57 AM   #29
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
please tell more. I tried searching on Honda forums for this problem, but there really isn't a lot of support for DPFI cars. I think it's entirely possible that one of my vacuum hoses is just pinched, even if I didn't notice it before.

I really don't want to take off my IACV and clean it... what a pain.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:08 AM   #30

Find where your throttle

Find where your throttle cable attaches to the throttle body. There should be a dashpot right by it that can open the throttle plate a little bit [you can see the arm that pushes down on the part where the cable attaches]. My vacuum line going to this was not rubber, but rather some kind of plastic. It had a big kink in it that was permanent due to the vacuum line becoming less flexible over time. I just replaced the line and no more surging idle. If you need more detail, I can probably take some shots of it.