My engine is slowly giving up the ghost. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
Driving on E

My engine is slowly giving up the ghost.

For the first time ever, my car won't start. I have noticed lately that it takes longer to start up, but I figured it was just the starter going out, which I could just replace when I did the engine swap.

Turns out the starter might be in okay health. After trying to crank the engine for 30 seconds today (more than once) I checked my engine error code and it turns out I have a problem with my fuel injection system.

Odds are it's just a loose wire, or maybe a defective injector. I've prepared for both scenarios. I went to the junkyard today and quickly removed 2 injectors from similar cars. hopefully one of them will do the trick.

I find it funny that it's giving me trouble right before the engine swap. I'm also wondering if the gummed up fuel injector, or even the loose wire, is part of why my mileage dropped like it did. I just assumed it was the winter blend, but this could have something to do with it too.

We'll see.

Oh, I also noticed that my car burned over a half quart of oil in about 100 miles, which is much more than it was burning before. Looks like the engine swap couldn't come at a better time.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 11:47 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: My engine is slowly giving up the ghost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
For the first time ever, my car won't start. I have noticed lately that it takes longer to start up, but I figured it was just the starter going out, which I could just replace when I did the engine swap.

Turns out the starter might be in okay health. After trying to crank the engine for 30 seconds today (more than once) I checked my engine error code and it turns out I have a problem with my fuel injection system.

Odds are it's just a loose wire, or maybe a defective injector. I've prepared for both scenarios. I went to the junkyard today and quickly removed 2 injectors from similar cars. hopefully one of them will do the trick.

I find it funny that it's giving me trouble right before the engine swap. I'm also wondering if the gummed up fuel injector, or even the loose wire, is part of why my mileage dropped like it did. I just assumed it was the winter blend, but this could have something to do with it too.

We'll see.

Oh, I also noticed that my car burned over a half quart of oil in about 100 miles, which is much more than it was burning before. Looks like the engine swap couldn't come at a better time.
Don't spend money on the old engine, you're going to replace it anyway. It looks like it's on it's way out. A loose wire can be in so many places.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:50 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
oh great you melted the

oh great you melted the injectors with the acetone!
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:08 AM   #4
Driving on E

Re: oh great you melted the

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
oh great you melted the injectors with the acetone!
ROFL!
Old 02-08-2006, 06:09 AM   #5
Driving on E

Re: My engine is slowly giving up the ghost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
Don't spend money on the old engine, you're going to replace it anyway. It looks like it's on it's way out. A loose wire can be in so many places.
Would you recommend I don't drive it for the next month or two then? I need to get it running, even for just a while.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:28 AM   #6
Registered Member

engine check

Check the plugs and while they are out do a compression check. May be the rings going loosing compression. Could also be valves with worn guides. Compression check will give a higher reading if it is low when you add a squirt of motor oil to the cylinder if the rings are worn - if it the valves the oil will not raise compression. You can also try a little blast of propane into the air intake as you crank it - if it starts with that then you have a fuel delivery problem. I used to start the Rambler on really cold days with a propane torch with the nozzle removed into a hose to the intake manifold which I swapped with the vacuum gauge. It would actually run on the propane until the carb started vaporizing the fuel.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:02 AM   #7

So it is a starting problem?

So it is a starting problem? Will the engine turn over and not catch or what? Can you explain it a little better?

Fuel injector system code is kind of odd, so unless you get it again [or have had it more than once], I wouldn't put too much weight on it. My car was behaving VERY strangely and it turns out it was the ignition switch.

Oil consumption is a *****, ain't it? I find that my oil consumption goes way up [sometimes more than doubles] if I drive the car really hard. My conservative driving techniques have brought my oil consumption way down.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:23 AM   #8
Driving on E

it cranks and cranks, but it

it cranks and cranks, but it won't start. I'll double check the code today again. if it's still CEL 16 I'll run through the troubleshooting guide.

I'll then check my spark plugs and then I'll check my distributor cap and rotor.

It's odd, as I've only noticed oil consumption in the past when on road trips (to Vegas, etc.) Usually it would consume about a half quart to one quart on the trip down. It consuming this much oil in just city driving is NOT a good thing at all.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:35 AM   #9
*shrug*

Don't forget the FITV!

Don't forget the FITV!
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:28 AM   #10
Registered Member

oil and starting

Hey are you doing mods to the crankcase vent - could be a vacuum leak or excessive air flow form the crank into the engine sucking up the oil and allowing too much air into the intake.