OBD 1 Cable Pinout - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-13-2005, 08:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

OBD 1 Cable Pinout

This project is "how to read the OBD 1 codes of my 1994 Honda Civic DX, using my laptop". While the software is available cheap, finding a serial cable and a pinout of my cables is proving a task. Any information regarding codes and cable pinouts for my Civy would be appreciated. Evidently they are different for every manufacturer. Getting inside my ECM would be nicer than trying to figure out my dashboard lights.
PS. My Check Engine and SRS lights blink when in Self Diagnostic mode. This is not a listed code in the Honda manual...ideas, aside from replacing the ECM?

CruiseControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 08:23 PM   #2
*shrug*

Hmm, quite a predicament,

Hmm, quite a predicament, how many times is it flashing on the ecu itself? Lemme look for a code list.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 08:25 PM   #3
*shrug*

<a href=http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1171263 target=_blank>http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1171263</a>
There ya go.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:07 PM   #4
Registered Member

Not Blinking...ACK!

The Check Engine light is NOT blinking, which according to Mitchel's means that the ECU should be replaced, since the code is not listed. The Check engine light is on, and the SRS light(red immediately below) is blinking, at a regular interval. I'm new to this, and figure I'm doing something wrong, however after double checking my plugs etc. everything is correct and the same code, appears :| I'm trying to put together a Code Scanner with my laptop. There is software on eBay for ~ $20, however it uses a Serial Cable http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-OBD-I.....QrdZ1
Old 11-14-2005, 06:35 PM   #5
*shrug*

How many times is it

How many times is it blinking? That should give you the code that it is giving.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:12 PM   #6
Driving on E

Re: How many times is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
How many times is it blinking? That should give you the code that it is giving.
Honda obd1 and obd0 codes are much different SVOBoy. There isnt' even a window on the obd1 ecu for CEL codes. I'll do some searching on this topic tomorrow.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:56 AM   #7

Re: Not Blinking...ACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl
The Check engine light is on, and the SRS light(red immediately below) is blinking, at a regular interval.
Are you SURE your car isn't OBD-II? My brother's EJ has the CEL and SRS light blink for codes...
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 01:01 PM   #8
Registered Member

Sure?

I'm not sure of anyting, except that the timing won't advance on my Civic, and I just replaced the Distributor, thinking it was the ICM(ignition control module), and I was in a rush to get to work. The owner's manual doesn't have an entry for OBD or ECM, and Chilton's only mentions "self diagnosis system". There is a three prong connector to the ECM, which I presume is an OBD1 connector. Now all I have to do, is make sure that I don't plug the wrong wires from the Scanner into the ECM and fry it, or my laptop. 3 prongs x 3 wires = 9. 1:9 odds, better read some more.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:34 PM   #9
Registered Member

No Problem!

Here's a thread that says that I have "No Problem", with a check engine light on, although there is no mention of the blinking SRS.
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1439906
What gets me is that my car has no power until it reaches ~ %50 RPM, and it's very hard to start and sounds weird(missing alot until the foot comes off the gas, and the key returned to neutural). The only thing done, was a swap out of the Distributor , which I thought was the problem since it had been so full of water every Fall for so many years. What could possibly not be connected or leaking (vacuum?); new gas filter too. :|
Old 11-20-2005, 01:40 PM   #10
*shrug*

Get the right dizzy for it?

Get the right dizzy for it? Could be the problem, I dunno much about them though.