Oil Filter Testing - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #11
Registered Member

Oh, that's pretty cleaver of them. Since I'm not going to go those intervals I won't worry about Amsoil, but they'd be my choice with a new car like a Fit, mind you.

Good thing the VX I have only calls for 3.5 Qs with filter change. Two of the 5 Q buys from "Wal-Mart" will nearly net me 3 oil changes. =D

Old 06-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
Registered Member

...but I definitely could spot the "Clean 5000" Mobil1 as being a lame synthetic.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by add|ct View Post
...but I definitely could spot the "Clean 5000" Mobil1 as being a lame synthetic.
ABSOTIVELY!!! i'd rather buy valvoline max life, which is not a bad product. i use amsoil signature series. it has a 35k interval . obviously that is in ideal conditions--severe service dictates 17.5k miles. i change it once per year(10-12k miles), and the filter again half way(6months).

you doing fine tho. when you first switch to synthetic, it's a good idea to do a short first interval because of the cleansing attributes of this type of oil.

some say the product is not worth the price. i say i pay less than conventional oil users if you calculate the many more changes accounting for the price of more oil and filters, plus time. time is money!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
ABSOTIVELY!!! i'd rather buy valvoline max life, which is not a bad product. i use amsoil signature series. it has a 35k interval . obviously that is in ideal conditions--severe service dictates 17.5k miles. i change it once per year(10-12k miles), and the filter again half way(6months).

you doing fine tho. when you first switch to synthetic, it's a good idea to do a short first interval because of the cleansing attributes of this type of oil.

some say the product is not worth the price. i say i pay less than conventional oil users if you calculate the many more changes accounting for the price of more oil and filters, plus time. time is money!
Definitely with you there. I'm actually using the MaxLife Valvoline right now. The old Swedish lady that I got the car from was using the same conventional Castrol GTX from a standard service center continuously. I put SeaFoam in the crankcase prior to the oil change, for about 100 miles or so prior, to help with that process in anticipation of the swap to full syn. I'm simply using the MaxLife as the transitional oil. Will use SeaFoam again. I should drop the oil pan and replace the seal before going to the Mobil1, though, after using the SeaFoam a couple times without doing so.

I did this with a '99 Dodge Stratus I own as well before going to 0w-30. I can get over 27 MPG long distance driving now in that car. The best part is I don't lose any more oil than when I first bought it from a relative that was using conventional. I've had the Mobil1 0w-30 for some time in there now, and I'm stretching it to 4,000 miles already. I haven't had to add oil. Maybe I've lost half a quart in 3,500 miles.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #15
Site Team / Moderator

On my 98 GMC K1500 I usually have to add a quart at about 3,500 - 4,000 miles, and I change at 5,000. I've been using Mobil1 0w30 in it for a while now. I don't think its using any more oil than when I was running Mobil1 5w30. Most of my oil usage I think is from oil being wiped off the dipstick. I check my oil EVERY time I purchase fuel. On average I go about 180-200 miles between fillups (can't resist stopping for cheap gas if its available), so that's a lot of dipstick wiping going on.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #16
Registered Member

Re: Oil Filter Testing

i know for many of you guys that buy mobile1 motor oil at wally world, it would be very convenient to buy a fram filter while there, but think again please...http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...ers.html#avoid
Old 08-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

If you're at Walmart and you're not buying an AC Delco, Motorcraft, etc...why not buy Supertech?
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1077328
I've been using them, they work great for me.

Also, not all Frams are orange cans of death. The Fram CH9911 for my VW is a rebranded high quality Mann filter made in Germany.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #18
Registered Member

it seems just like fram, supertech has some outsourcing...http://users.zoominternet.net/~capro...e%20ST7317.htm

again, think and research what you buy.

HC, how much are those ST oil filters?
Old 08-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Yup, apparently SuperTech filters are from Champion and are decent. They seem decent enough, I've been using them for a couple years now.

I don't remember how much they are.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #20
Registered Member

decent? from my link...

There is a newer version of the Wal-Mart oil filters showing up in the Wal-Mart's.

This new filter looks just like the older one on the outside, but when I cut one of these

apart I found that the pressure relief valve has been changed. In my below report of the ST7317 oil filter I stated that it uses a rubber to metal seal for the pressure relief valve,

the old version is a product of the USA.

The pressure relief valve in the newer version has been changed and not for the good. The new filter uses a hard plastic to metal valve much like the ones in the Fram's. They are two quick and obvious ways to spot this new filter.

price: at the end of the link it claims(at the time of posting)a price of $2.07. not bad.