Performance Underdrive Pulleys? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2007, 10:08 PM   #1
Supporting Member

Question Performance Underdrive Pulleys?

Hello -

What do you think of this? :

Underdrive Pulley
http://www.saturnmotorsports.com/cat...roducts_id=224
Attachment 904
Quote:
By reducing the engines rotating mass while underdriving your accessories, these lightweight T-6 billet aluminum underdrive pulleys will deliver an increase in horse power. This kit replaces your factory crank, alternator and water pump pulley. The Saturn underdrive pulleys are perfect for naturally aspirated, Turbo, and Nitrous applications.
I was *trying* to find a special custom pulley that was made in Canada by a dude that seems to have disappeared, but now I found this "performance pulley set".

Do you think it would increase MPG?

CarloSW2
Attached Images

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Registered Member

If your saturn motor has a dampener combined with the stock pulley, don´t use the underdrive unit or you could see some crank bearing damage in the future.

But other than that, the only problem I´ve heard with using them on the alternator is that it won´t charge your battery enough. I can see how they would help a little by not spinning the accessories as much, but they would still be connected, so I doubt the advantage would be that huge.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

well, i noticed a crapload of more tourque on my truck. i just changed out the big steel crank pulley with a smaller aluminum one. i also changed the alternater pulley to as smaller one to keep it spinning the same. i changed pullies and took out my egr valve at the same time so i cant really say which did what but all of a sudden i got 2-3 mpg better. and liek i said it noticeably freed up some tourque and where theres more tourque means theres less gas involved to accelerate the same.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
the light weight would be and advantage, but the under driving your alternator could cause problems at idle.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
Registered Member

no you make the alternater pulley smaller along with the smaller crank pulley, keeping the ratio between the 2 the same, which keeps them spinning at the same speed. the volt meter on my truck hovers right at 14, which is where it was before the swap.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
no you make the alternater pulley smaller along with the smaller crank pulley, keeping the ratio between the 2 the same, which keeps them spinning at the same speed. the volt meter on my truck hovers right at 14, which is where it was before the swap.
Not sure about Saturns, but for Hondas, these are underdrive pulleys. You can either get the crank pulley that has a smaller dia, or separate alternator and PS pulleys that are larger for the same effect. My Integra has AEM underdrive pulleys on the alternaots and the PS pump. I don't notice any issues withthe PS, at idle, the voltmeter does drop down to 12V, but at about 1200 rpm jumps up to the 13.4 it normally sits at. I guess if I idled it for a real long time, I could drain the battery, but it never has.
mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
one big disadvantage of useing smaller pullies one both ends of the belt to keep the ratio the same is that the stiffness of the belt trying to curve around that smaller pully is harder on the belt, is going to increase the chances of the belt sliping, and to over come that slipage of the belt is going to need more tension on the belt, leading to increased bearing wear and belt wear, in an ideal world you would simply have lighter weight pullies that were the same size, or even larger, I would love to use a cog belt insted of a ribbed belt as it needs even less tension because of it's gear like teeth, and maybe simply use plastic gear pullies to save weight.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:44 PM   #8

Plastic gear pulleys, I'd buy *that* for a dollar!

I wonder why nobody is making those. Perhaps it's wear rates or balancing issues.
markweatherill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:01 AM   #9
Supporting Member

Ryland -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
one big disadvantage of useing smaller pullies one both ends of the belt to keep the ratio the same is that the stiffness of the belt trying to curve around that smaller pully is harder on the belt, is going to increase the chances of the belt sliping, and to over come that slipage of the belt is going to need more tension on the belt, leading to increased bearing wear and belt wear, in an ideal world you would simply have lighter weight pullies that were the same size, or even larger, I would love to use a cog belt insted of a ribbed belt as it needs even less tension because of it's gear like teeth, and maybe simply use plastic gear pullies to save weight.
I think this is designed to solve the slippage problem :

3 Way Adjustable Billet Idler Bracket
http://www.saturnmotorsports.com/cat...roducts_id=799
Attachment 910
Quote:
3 way adjustable billet idler bracket eliminates belt from slipping with smaller pulley upgrades. Very easy to installation.
That's *another* $99 on top of the $250 for the pulleys, .

CarloSW2
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2007, 01:22 AM   #10
Supporting Member

theclencher -

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
I'm pretty sure Ryland's point is with the smaller pulley's ya gots'ta bend the belt more, and bending the belt more take's more energy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thu's it's LESS efficient,,,,,,,,, compound that with more tension to keep slip under control,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, another efficiency hit.
Attachment 911
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

CarloSW2
Attached Images