question about drag racing - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #11
Registered Member

Yes, I think?

Yes I think the rear spoiler on the Pro Stock cars is only for aerodynamics. On Pro Stock I do not think any down force is needed. Most of their traction problems is in the first 60 feet unless they get out of the "Groove".

I would like to know if the little flat spoiler on your car helps or hurts the aero on the car. I know it would not be a huge difference but many factory style spoilers actually hurt mileage and top speed. I am considering putting a similar one on my HHR but will not do anything that may hurt it even if it is only just a little. I would not want to spend $250 dollars to lose 1/2 MPG.
I like the way it looks so if it is better even marginally I would put one on.

Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #12
Registered Member

On an HHR you probably need a "whale tail" halfway down the back and a deflector up top.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:02 AM   #13
Registered Member

test of pic

bam, it works

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:56 AM   #14
DRW
Registered Member

Here's more pics showing a Ford Fusion going for a record top speed at the Bonneville salt flats. It also has a flat extension attached to the trunk.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/08...at-bonneville/

You could also do some tuft testing on your rear window to see if airflow remains attached all the way to the back, or if it separates before the spoiler. This would be easy to do since you could see the tufts in the rearview mirror while driving. Just use a few pieces of string 5 to 6" long, and duct tape them in various locations.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #15
Registered Member

yea, I kind of dropped the idea because I have no time.

I haven't even been able to stay on here as long as I would like. work is getting a little crazy so I don't see much daylight, especially with daylight savings time and all.

I may revisit this when I get more time but for now, I am just going to enjoy the relatively low gas prices and drive with what I have. it has still yielded me over 38 mpg for my best tank.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:56 PM   #16
Registered Member

just an FYI most stock spoilers are for purely looks (hence usually on sport/high up submodel list cars)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:31 AM   #17
Registered Member

my spoiler has the 3rd light in it and is very low profile and unlike most, there is no gap between the spoiler and the car.

I am not saying that it is any better because of it but it isn't the gargantuan thing that aftermarket people put on the mustangs and hondas.

also, it is a stock spoiler (and yes, it is probably just for looks)