question about drag racing - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

question about drag racing

I was wondering about some of the aero they use on drag cars and applying it to mine.

some drag cars (top fuel cars) have a parachute on the back. right above the parachute is a lip on the back of the car that extends a good 8-12 inches past the back of the car. is this protection for the parachute or is it aero?

I saw a while back where someone had added a piece of plexi-glass to the back of the car using really strong magnets and was getting better FE.

I was thinking that I could cover my entire trunk lid and leave enough material to over hang the trunk by about 8 or so inches. use maybe 1 or 2 screws to hold it down (along with double sided tape for the perimeter) paint it white and that way my trunk is still functional.

if this is stupid or won't work, someone let me know before I make my car look really funny for no reason. I don't know a lot about aerodynamics so I am really reaching out there with this one.

thanks

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
Registered Member

Should work to detach air cleanly from the rear of the car. Some might have it angled a touch if they need downforce on the back. Probably don't really need more than about 3 inches for it to be effective.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Site Team

I can't address the aerodynamics of this piece, but I suspect it is irrelevant. In drag racing, aerodynamic drag is essentially irrelevant anyhow. (Aerodynamics does play other roles, such as creating down force, but the aerodynamic drag from those items will not really affect ET or MPH - even over 200 MPH).

-BC
Old 10-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
Registered Member

roadwarrior,

I have a spoiler on the car now (factory) which houses the 3rd brake light. my trunk actually slopes down and the spoiler sits above it. I was thinkin that by puttin the plexi over the entire thing would make it sit almost completely level.

would you think that more length would be better/worse/not matter at all?

bob,

the fact that is in drag racing wasn't that important other than the fact that I could relatively easily depict it that way (didn't know how else to describe it). I had hear of people doing things for air separation. I thought about removing my spoiler and leaving it at that but that would leave my trunk with an easy slope downward to my bumper (which I have heard is bad). it was just a thought and I am playing around with the idea because it would be relatively inexpensive and simple to do.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
Registered Member

Drag racing spoilers are not for aerodynamics

The spoilers and wings on Top Fuel and Funny Cars are not for aerodynamics they are fro down force. The wing on a Top fuel car is supposed to put 7000 lbs of downforce on the rear of the car to keep the tires from spinning. Even at 330 MPH and 7000 lbs of downforce they can still blow the tire off if the clutch comes in too much. They have some awaesome power.
Now Pro Stock spoilers may be more for aerodynamics?
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:17 PM   #6
Registered Member

curly,

you're right. I got the cars wrong. I did mean the type on pro stock cars. that was what I was trying to portray, not the wings that give downforce.

they come straight and level out from the car about a foot, no angle to them (or at least not much of one).

Old 10-24-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
Registered Member

It doesn't seem like it would create much downforce, I'm guessing it would help with aero a bit? I cannot say, I don't know enough about the subject to say for sure.

skale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:58 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
A picture is worth a thousand worms...isn't that the saying?

Old 10-25-2008, 06:44 AM   #9
Registered Member

that is exactly what i am talking about though mine would be more flat and not with the upward turning lips on the sides of it.

thanks cow man

Old 10-25-2008, 07:09 AM   #10
Registered Member

this is the area in question. I have also been giving thought to a cam back for the back glass. the aero on my car is actually pretty good to start with
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side view.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1252   Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk area.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1253