Rust! Anybody do DIY undercoating? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
I'm glad there isn't any place of business in Michigan that drills holes in cars for rustproofing purposes anymore! I was told that there is a law against doing that here now. I couldn't find that law, but I did find a law that says they cannot use the old chemicals anymore. So sometime in the last 7 years, the places that do chemical rustproofing had to move on and start using a totally new product. The old one was just really really smelly, and would burn the eyes quickly.

They went to a wax-like chemical now, similar to waxoyl.

And if anyone wants a really easy rust stabilizer, try Permatex 81849 Rust Treatment. Three coats within 6 six minutes and let dry for 24hrs. Then paint with any non-water based paint that will stick to it. Works like a charm. I have spots that I did 3 years ago that are still perfect.

Linseed oil is great if you arn't going to keep your car washed in the winter...but if you do, it's gone by the end of February. And theres still 1.5 months of salt/snow left.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:47 AM   #22
Registered Member

* oil in door/hatch bottoms and inside frames

* a good rustproofing paint on the outside of frames etc..clean up all rust first though...even the pits

* rustproofing paint...then fabric/thick roof cement OR alum/plastic/rubber-tar adhesived repair tape with roof cement over it inside wheel wells

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #23
Registered Member

On my current vx it had the drill holes and then rust proofing in the panels, and every panel on the car just about had some rust repair, so it really really doesn't work.

To stop corrosion in my wheelwells I always first clean off the rust, apply a sealing paint, then use roofing tar and or rubberized undercoating to cover the entire wheel well. I've never had a problem with rust coming back after this.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:16 AM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Raccoonjoe Send a message via MSN to Raccoonjoe Send a message via Yahoo to Raccoonjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Does anyone screw galvanized bolts/washers into holes in the body work for use as anodes?
Well, couldn't find the link to the folks actually selling this stuff...but try this....http://www.counteractrust.com/counteract.htm.

Also, saw this forum about the ol' Ford Maverick, where the members were having this exact same conversation: http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=4398