"Sash" on passenger door of VX problem - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

"Sash" on passenger door of VX problem

Hey guys, I'm having a problem with the long piece of plastic on the VX that lines the passenger door towards the rear of the car.

According to the manual, its called a "sash trim". Basically, it has 3 screws that hold the sash in place at 3 different holes in the door itself, which allows the sash to be screwed in place by 3 smaller pieces of plastic(more like adapters to give the screws something to screw into) that attach to different points on the sash itself allowing it to seat itself flush against the door.

Apparently, the top adapter that connects to the sash broke off and when I tried to remove it via the screw in the door, the plastic piece fell down into the door. No worries about that, but I need a new plastic adapter or I'm going to have to super glue the sash at this location or I'll have water getting inside the door. I tried looking at the honda automotive website but can't find the specific part, though I do see where to buy new sash trims.

Can post pictures if needed.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: "Sash" on passenger door of VX problem

Okay, I found out which piece to replace buy talking to one of the guys working at my local dealership. Its called the sash garnish. One on both sides of the vehicle, and apparently only the top of the sash has this adapter.

Its cheaper to buy from the dealer for this piece, ironically, just because of the insane shipping charge to mail what amounts to air in ounces for this small piece of plastic. =D

Freedom from rust hazard FTW.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

How much did it cost you from the dealer? I picked up 2 used for $15 total off a guy on Craigslist (only needed one, but it was all or nothing), but then when I tried to install it at home, I realized that the tabs that you screw into were broken of on these replacements. I'm trying to figure out if I can jerry-rig some way to still use it.
mcc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Registered Member

Each dealer is different; go figure, but I paid $5+ tax for one of the pieces. Slipped it on the sash and screwed it back in, so now things look much more uniform.

Remember, this is just the adapter, not the entire sash trim piece. Just the one that needs the adapter to be able to screw in at the top of the door.

By the way, if you were looking to get the best possible appearance out of all of your black plastics, rubber hoses, dash, steering wheel etc... I picked up this 303 Aerospace Protectant product at my local ACE hardware store.

I searched it out after checking out this guys article on another site. I don't know about the other product, chemical guys, but the one 303 product works great. It was $15 at the ACE store, but worth it. The interior of the engine bay is looking much cleaner because I used it to clean/protect the dirt old looking hoses that made it look like the car had been into mud bogging. Also, the sash trims look as close to sleek as a 20 year old car can look without buying brand new parts left and right. I did clean the rubber hoses gently with some soap/water after ringing a rag out well, so as not to let water be flinging everywhere towards electrical parts.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ur-engine-bay/
Old 08-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Registered Member

I figure I'd add an after picture to what it did for the hoses in the engine compartment. I couldn't get the hoses right beneath the intake manifold. This is only after an entry-level attempt, not really vigorous or anything like that. Compare the hoses on the left to how it looked in my garage pics. Yes, that is oil leaking from one of the screws on the valve cover in the 2nd picture.

http://yfrog.com/jy1003298yj

http://yfrog.com/7g1003300xj