Saturn SL Occasional grind into fifth - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2007, 05:21 PM   #11
Registered Member

I have doubts that it is a clutch problem since the problem goes away if I don't shift immediately. However over at Saturnfans they suggested I check my clutch also so I will search around and see what I can do about troubleshooting that. I have a manual from the previous owner, but for some reason it is for the LS models...

Old 09-30-2007, 06:59 PM   #12
Registered Member

My Saturn does not do this. I have synthetic Valvoline ATF in my transmission. The Metro I had did grind. Diluting its gear oil with ATF helped a lot. Fresh oil in the trans may help. Synthetics tend to lubricate better so it may make the problem worse. Saturn already runs ATF in the manual trans so you can't go too much thinner. The previous owner may have put a friction modifier in the oil though. Put in new ATF, cheap stuff at first if you want and see if it makes a difference. It is pretty easy to drain but takes a long funnel or a funnel and hose to fill.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:23 AM   #13
Registered Member

It sounds to me like the Syncro on your 5th gear is a little worn. All you should need to do is put it in neutral, let out the clutch, engage the clutch, easy 1-2-3 slip it into 5th and release the clutch.

If you have the engine turning over at approximately the same speed as the transmission gears being turned by the wheels, the syncrho doesn't have to do much to get the gears turning at the same speed in the transmission, so that you don't get a grind when your trying to shift. Grinds are definitely bad.

When your in neutral, engine off and you press down on the clutch, to put the car into 5th gear, it is going to work the syncro, very hard, because the gears are fundamentally being spun from 0 rpm to whatever speed they would be turning at, if the engine were running. You can probably get it to work by engaging 5th at a slower speed, in pushing the gear lever in, so the syncro has a few more seconds to get the gears up to speed. Just give it a light touch, a couple of pounds, until the lever moves easily into gear. When you push it harder, it has to work a lot harder, because it is trying to get the gear to spin at a speed which will allow the gears to not interfere and grind.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:34 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer View Post
It sounds to me like the Syncro on your 5th gear is a little worn. All you should need to do is put it in neutral, let out the clutch, engage the clutch, easy 1-2-3 slip it into 5th and release the clutch.
yep, I agree, sounds just like my car, been grinding into 5th for a good 50,000 miles, If I put it into fifth and RPMs are REALLY low (ie, while coasting) I either double clutch (not normally) or I simply drop into 4th for a split second and then straight into 5th (my usual).

Synchro grind is very normal on asian cars, especially over 100,000 miles. It's a quick/cheap fix too, if you can do it yourself.

sandalscout is offline   Reply With Quote