Seafoam lowered my idle! - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-14-2007, 09:50 PM   #41
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
I'm gonna get some to clean my Vortex Generators and Deturbulator tape.

Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:25 AM   #42
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post

BIBI - does your VX idle that high when you have the climate control fan off along with the lights off and your foot off of the brake?
If everything is off, yes it will idle at 900 rpm, if a play with climate controle, brake or light it will go up to about 1000rpm...

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:36 AM   #43
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danronian View Post
I've heard of this method to do it, and have also heard of hydrolocking the motor using this method. If you read the can, it says to pour it VERY slowly and says nothing about stalling the motor. With a tiny 1.5L motor, if you poured 1/3 of the can down into the motor all at once, and somehow it all goes into one cylinder instead of evenly into all 4, I can see it doing some major harm. Just because it's combustible, isn't mean it will be able to be compressed in a liquid state.

If I was brave, and it was an old motor I had a replacement for, I would possibly try the "pour till it stalls" method, but I'm not in that situation right now.

And the cloud behind my car actually didn't form at all until I restarted the car after having it sit for the prescribed 5 minutes. I did use 1/3 of the can too, as stated is the max that should be used in my size engine.

But if you've used that method without a problem, congrats, I'm just scared when it comes to pouring liquid into the intake of my only car right now.
ive used my method 4 times now on a 2.2L and a 1.6L engine. it doesnt take much at all to stall an engine with seafoam. maybe a teaspoon in a vacum line will cause it to get very very bogged down. yea u dump a 1/3 of the can in when the engines not running sure ur gonna hydrolock it. thats why i said when it stalls out do not pour anymore and when it looks/sounds like its gonan stall stop pouring and let it catch itself up again. it can take up to a minute to get a 1/3 can in the engine.(usually the cloud appears before this tho...)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:35 AM   #44

The LS1 in my Z28 was resistant to stalling doing the Seafoam thing. I just reached in and turned off the key when I reached that point. No tribble a'tall.
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:34 AM   #45
Registered Member

any concern about the seafoam and the wideband o2 sensors the VX uses?

ive heard to never use it on an engine with a wideband because it can easily fail the sensor.

ive also heard that you are supposed to change the oil directly after using the seafoam because it will mix with the oil and decrease the viscosity like crazy, it has been decribed as similar to adding water to the oil, coincidence?

anyways, these are just some things ive heard when using seafoam, but it seems that you guys have had some good results
Old 11-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #46
Registered Member

I put some seafoam in the gas tank of my vx at 180K before i swaped motors and when I pulled off the intake manifold of the old vx motor where the injectors sprayed it was perfectly clean as well as the intake valves looked brand new.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:52 AM   #47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieVX View Post

ive heard to never use it on an engine with a wideband because it can easily fail the sensor.

ive also heard that you are supposed to change the oil directly after using the seafoam because it will mix with the oil and decrease the viscosity like crazy, it has been decribed as similar to adding water to the oil, coincidence?

anyways, these are just some things ive heard when using seafoam, but it seems that you guys have had some good results

I was afraid of the same thing with the wideband, but I've heard of a lot of people on here using it, so I gave it a try. Luckily I have a back-up sensor if mine fails.

It does "water-down" the oil a lot, but I still ran it for a little while anyhow. It didn't seem to hurt anything. I know it says you can drive it with it in your oil for a while, but I like to just let it run in there for a little bit.

But overall, I've had great results with it, and it was the first time I've ever used it.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #48
Supporting Member

RobbieVX -

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieVX View Post

To be super safe, couldn't you just remove it, plug the hole, and put it back? Orrrrrrrrrr, would the car revolt and not allow you to seafoam it?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
RobbieVX -

To be super safe, couldn't you just remove it, plug the hole, and put it back? Orrrrrrrrrr, would the car revolt and not allow you to seafoam it?

CarloSW2

Hahahah

Yeah, that would have worked. I thought the seafoam might actually clean it a little and help make it read a little more accurately. Though I have heard any additives (like the stuff that already comes in my "winter" gas... ) are a terrible idea for a wideband.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:45 PM   #50
Supporting Member

Danronian -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danronian View Post
Hahahah

Yeah, that would have worked. I thought the seafoam might actually clean it a little and help make it read a little more accurately. Though I have heard any additives (like the stuff that already comes in my "winter" gas... ) are a terrible idea for a wideband.
That sucks. It seems like you should be able to apply for a waiver or something. But a waiver is useless without a source for the "happy gas" for your wideband. Orrrrr, maybe an auto-store additive to neutralize the winter blend?!?!?!?!?!? Do Honda tuners care about their wideband sensors? If yes, then there might be an after-market solution. But, maybe I'm just trying to solve a non-problem .

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote