Seafoam lowered my idle! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

Seafoam lowered my idle!

At first I was a bit scared of using this stuff, but I figured if so many people have success with it, who not give it a try.

My VX used to always idle at about 900 RPM when it was fully warmed-up instead of around 500 RPM like it should. Aftering using Seafoam, it idles low just like it's supposed to!

It was a bit scary seeing that huge cloud of white smoke behind the car, and hearing it idle terribly with the brake-booster vaccum line detached was annoying, but it was worth it. After I took it to redline a about a dozen times on my drive to "clean out" the motor, the engine stopped smoking, and now idles better than ever!

Great product! I added some to my gas and oil too to hopefully give the engine a full cleaning.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Congrats, chalk another one up to Seafoam.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
Congrats, chalk another one up to Seafoam.
Thanks! I'm quite impressed it actually made a difference. I'm pretty much of a skeptic when it comes to anything additive-like.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
umm, shortly after I bought my car I brought it to Jiffy Lube where they did a similar thing. I didn't think it was seafoam they used, but your description is very similar to what they did. They said it was cleaning out the exhaust system, though, and never mentioned seafoam. Was it something else they did? I'll have to dig up the post I made about it.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:05 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
umm, shortly after I bought my car I brought it to Jiffy Lube where they did a similar thing. I didn't think it was seafoam they used, but your description is very similar to what they did. They said it was cleaning out the exhaust system, though, and never mentioned seafoam. Was it something else they did? I'lhttp://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=975
Donate to GasSavers. Upgrade your membership! Remove Ads! l have to dig up the post I made about it.
I've actually never gone to a jiffy-lube type place, but I have heard the Honda dealer does something very close to Seafoam on used cars. Now that I've been driving it a while, I'm starting to notice that it actually accelerates smoother now, and I can actually drive even slower than before in 5th before the car wants to die. Good news for MPG I hope. This is looking to be a record tank for the car, so I hope I'm not just being too hopeful!

I really need to get the complete OEM intake installed though... The way I have it in there now, it is still sucking cold air, which can't be good with these COLD temperatures around here lately. HOpefully I'll get it installed tommorrow so it will suck up only engine-bay air.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
^^ Mazda has a seafoam type stuff for their cars... The KL series engine is non interference, unless carbon build up on the valves gets really bad (ya, tolerances are damn tight) - to the point where carbon knock is an issue. The TSB says to use their version of seafoam, but to let it soak overnight (or maybe it was 60 minutes?).

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danronian View Post
I've actually never gone to a jiffy-lube type place, but I have heard the Honda dealer does something very close to Seafoam on used cars. Now that I've been driving it a while, I'm starting to notice that it actually accelerates smoother now, and I can actually drive even slower than before in 5th before the car wants to die. Good news for MPG I hope. This is looking to be a record tank for the car, so I hope I'm not just being too hopeful!

I really need to get the complete OEM intake installed though... The way I have it in there now, it is still sucking cold air, which can't be good with these COLD temperatures around here lately. HOpefully I'll get it installed tommorrow so it will suck up only engine-bay air.
I'm going to skip the seafoam issue, but you can reroute your intake to near the headers or cat converter. Just remember not to bypass any air filters( I installed an after market filter). Also sometimes the O2 sensor is in the intake hose,so don't bypass that either( I connected the new hose to the old one to keep the sensor.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 04:53 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hateful View Post
Also sometimes the O2 sensor is in the intake hose,so don't bypass that either
That would be the mass airflow sensor or possibly intake air temperature sensor. Oxygen sensors are always in the exhaust system some place.
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:19 AM   #9
Registered Member

The factory civic intake actually pulls all of its air from the engine bay (minus the resonator box, but I'm taping off that hole for that and am not installed that heavy box), and with a small modification, I could have it pull all of the air from the header area with about a 1ft addition. I'll have to take a picture of what I'm talking about once I get it installed.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:57 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
^^^ sounds like what I did with my stock VX intake. I left the resonator box behind the bumper and all the other OEM piping in place. All I really did was get some aluminum dryer vent (expandable kind) in 3" diameter. Then I just sccrunched it over the top of the intake tube that sits behind the radiator and directed it over to between the manifold and the block.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote