snow tires -- right size? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
snow tires -- right size?

Hi, I am looking at possibly getting studded snow tires for my Civic VX and need some input on the size. My car calls for 165/70R/13 and I currently have 175/70R/13 on my car. The ones for sale are 155/80R/13. Will these fit? The guy said they'd add an inch of height. Do you agree? Input appreciated!

Also, are studded snows not ideal for highway driving? I often travel 75 miles each way on the highway. Thanks! They're very cheap, $20 for 1 season used studded snow tires. Thanks.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
Registered Member

The 165/70 has a 69.41" circumference. The 155/80 has a 71.51" circumference and will cause your odometer to read 3% fewer miles than the 165/70 tire, but only 0.5% fewer miles than the 175/70 tire. That said, each manufacturer's tire may have a slightly larger or smaller circumference than the purported correct circumference of any given size tire. Tire inflation will also affect the cirumference slightly.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
See the tire size calculator linked in my sig. It will give you everything you need.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I forgot about the tire calculator before I posted this and then remembered immediately found it upon searching this site. So the size is very similar to what I have on there now! Although I'm still a little unclear what the first number measures on the tire. (155 vs 175)
Thanks.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
First number measures tread width in millimeters. That part makes reasonable sense.

Second number measures sidewall height as a percentage of tread width, which is a choice obviously made by someone who was very drunk.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
Registered Member

so the sidewall heights of my current tires and the snow tires are nearly the same, which is what I was concerned about. Thanks animal of India.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
Registered Member

The 155 will make a better snow tire than the same brand/model in 165 or 175. Narrower tires will penetrate down through the snow covered roads better than a wider tire. A narrow tire pressing down through the snow onto pavement will have better traction than a wide one pressing down on but supported by snow.
When the roads are clear, both tires will have rubber on the road and the wider one will have better lateral grip.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:59 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I used to run 155/80/13 Winterforce snow tires on my hondas, non-studded (also illegal in MN). They were awesome, lasted 5 seasons. Now I'm just running Goodyear 155/80/13 all seasons and they are working well. not as grippy as the winterforce tires, but good enough for me to get around with. I'm running 175/60/13 in the back and wouldn't want them on the front of my VX as I would end up losing some traction. I tried it one day and immediately switched back toe the 155s.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #9
Registered Member

The smaller aero drag for the same diameter may help compensate for the added drag from the studs.

Make sure the width is compatible with your rims.

Sticky tires will wear down quickly.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #10
Registered Member

I use the mile markers on the Interstate here to check my odometer calibration. The Michelin 175-70-13's I have on my VX now are exactly 1% low on odometer reading, 99 miles indicated to 100 miles travelled.

Sadly they cost me about 10% mileage, compared to the original Bridgestones ;(.

regards
gary